Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas Trainman 4750 problem

Date: 12/05/16 17:59
Atlas Trainman 4750 problem
Author: seod

I bought some used Atlas Trainman BN 4750 grain hoppers at a swap meet Saturday. A BN 3 pack for $20 not to bad a price but the cars rattled. The weights were loose inside the cars. Fortuantly the cars are designed with screws holding them together and not glued so I could actually take them apart. After I got them apart 2 of the cars had broken screw mounts that had held the weights on and the other car had both mounts broken. It looked like to me that they had over tightened the screws and mostly broken the mount and after  setting around and various movements they broke off. I was very happy that I could fix them all I had to do was put some longer screws into what was left of the mounting point and tighten them down. I have bought others that did not have that problem but they have not been out of the boxes much.

​  Did anybody else have the same problem?.

Scott

Date: 12/05/16 19:44
Re: Atlas Trainman 4750 problem
Author: funnelfan

Interesting, I have a whole bunch of these cars and only one had a loose weight.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/05/16 20:01
Author: icancmp193

Looks like Keddie!

Tom Y

Date: 12/06/16 03:23
Author: kgmontreal

Sounds as if the cars you bought had gone to many a train show bouncing around in the back of some vendor's minivan.

KG

Date: 12/06/16 18:44
Author: PHall

A little Gorilla Glue and they will rattle no more!

Date: 12/07/16 05:11
Author: drolsen

I haven't had this problem with Atlas Thrall 4750s but I've definitely seen it with their ACF 4650. The plastic posts that the weights fit over seem to just snap off with the mounting screw still in them. I definitely prefer to glue weight in place.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds