Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > SP 10600 automat

Date: 12/06/16 04:26
SP 10600 automat
Author: SP3800

Attached is my in progress work of converting a Soho tavern car to the prototype 10600. courtesy of Mr Bob Zenk. the filled in windows will be plated over with .010 styrene to match the prototype. the second picture shows the scratch built under frame I built. 

Enjoy

John Ruehle

Date: 12/06/16 05:10
Re: SP 10600 automat
Author: funnelfan

Great job on that car. Never realized how difficult it was to model specific SP passenger equipment until I had to do it myself.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/06/16 07:30
Author: bnsfsd70

Looking good so far!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/06/16 11:21
Author: ATSF3751

SP3800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Attached is my in progress work of converting a
> Soho tavern car to the prototype 10600. courtesy
> of Mr Bob Zenk. the filled in windows will be
> plated over with .010 styrene to match the
> prototype. the second picture shows the scratch
> built under frame I built. 
>
> Enjoy
>
> John Ruehle
>  

Great work, John. I recently did a later version of an Automat using custom cut sides by Laser Horizons. The were sized to fit a prewar PS sleeper by Walthers.

Date: 12/06/16 14:06
Author: SP3800

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> SP3800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Attached is my in progress work of converting a
> > Soho tavern car to the prototype 10600.
> courtesy
> > of Mr Bob Zenk. the filled in windows will be
> > plated over with .010 styrene to match the
> > prototype. the second picture shows the scratch
> > built under frame I built. 
> >
> > Enjoy
> >
> > John Ruehle
> >  
>
> Great work, John. I recently did a later version
> of an Automat using custom cut sides by Laser
> Horizons. The were sized to fit a prewar PS
> sleeper by Walthers.

looks excellent!

John

Date: 12/06/16 17:51
Author: Dilworth

great job what kind of paint did you thankds

Date: 12/06/16 22:20
Author: ATSF3751

Dilworth Wrote:
> great job what kind of paint did you thankds

Tru Color Aluminum, SP Lark Dark Grey, and the stripe is SP red.

Date: 12/07/16 00:24
Author: Notch16

Nice jobs on both!

John, looking forward to seeing your work on SP 10600. You did a great job with SP 10401 in bringing old Soho into the 21st Century!

The model will be an eye-catcher with the plated-over windows -- the first prototype Automat kept its half-circle Tavern Car bar, and loaded the machines into one end where booths used to be. Second prototype removed the bar in the center of a later Tavern Car and put the machines there. The next cars, as ATSF3751 has modeled, were built from surplus prewar sleeping cars. The machines stayed in the middle on all these versions.

It's kind of too bad that one wasn't preserved. In the hindsight of history, they were a milestone -- and a semi-notorious icon of the cost-slashing SP passenger operations of the 1960s. People would love to see a 1960s Litton Industries microwave oven; you'd probably have lots of people swear there weren't such things a-way back then!

John's SP 10600 did pretty well with the machine load. SP 10601, a prewar truss frame car that was never designed for the weight, developed a distinct sag at the middle (which it seemed to have already gotten started as a Tavern Car). The later cars built from sleepers seemed to hold up fine, although corrosion around the windows was a problem.

The prototype for John's car kept its stainless steel fluted sides with a painted roof and ends. The second car, which could be modeled fairly easily using an MTH or BLI Tavern, was painted overall in SP's "Simulated Stainless Steel." Both had SP Scarlet stripes.

~ BZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds