Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > dimming athearn's light ?

Date: 12/27/00 16:36
dimming athearn's light ?
Author: calsubmp0

I know I can take the light out,but I sure would just like to dimmit ,or even redirect it to the numberboards, thanx again ed
p.s. just to let you know, I've got this week off and i'm doing as many updates to my locos as you all have suggested .. ed

Date: 12/27/00 17:30
RE: dimming athearn's light ?
Author: vasouthern

To dim the light, the idea is to lower the voltage to the bulb. The direct way to do this is with a resistor. I am guessing, but maybe a 47 ohm, at 1/2 watt might drop it about half. Play around with it, maybe 22 ohm, but then maybe a 1 watt or more may be needed. Radio Shack has a small assortment you can try.

There are some electronic circuits you could try, but a resistor is the most direct. Connect it IN SERIES with the bulb. It may take some soldering to make it solid.

Another simple trick I have seen a friend do was to simply paint part of the bulb with black paint. It covered part of the bulb and dimmed it a bit. Alot of people do this too in the cab to prevent it lighting up evrything.

I always remove the metal tabs on Athearns too. Makles alot better running loco. I use small wire, about 22 or 24 guage, soldered carefully to the contacts....

There has been several other threads about this...

Good luck!

Date: 12/27/00 17:38
Author: vasouthern

After a second thought....

A simple regulator circuit would be a better effect since it would keep the bulb at a constant level....the resistor in series will vary with the track voltage and may be too dim for you....

One of my MR electronics books has some circuits, you may find something online too.

Date: 12/27/00 17:38
Author: Smokey3

Ed, you might try this, place the bulb in a short piece of brass tubing, that will keep the light going in one direction. Secondly you could try putting a resistor between the end of the bulb and it's pick up. They come in about a zillion sizes and are available at Radio Shack. You might take the bulb in with you and let them know what you are trying to do. Usually there is someone there that can help. They may even have some short pieces of optical fiber and you might be able to use that to direct some light to the number boards. Good luck!

Date: 12/27/00 18:32
Author: WrongWayMurphy

You could also use a 18 volt bulb, or maybe
even a 24 volt bulb. Powering a higher
voltage lamp with lesser voltage will make
the light dimmer and added bonus of extending
the life of the lamp. I don't know if these
voltages are available thru your local hobby
shop, but its worth asking.
Shane Murphy - Argyle, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds