Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Running Old Lionel?

Date: 12/30/00 18:16
Running Old Lionel?
Author: mirage

I have received some Lionel equipment that's been in the family since the 1950s. An A-A diesel set and a steam locomotive, several mechanized cars like a milk car that's supposed to set out cans, a number of freight and passenger cars, a big transformer, and several powered turnouts.

Apparently none of these items have been used since about 1960, but were said to be working fine when they were put away. They are very dirty, but don't appear damaged.

I don't have a clue about what to do to make them operable again. I'm reluctant to try running them because I fear causing unwitting damage. Can anyone offer any good ideas, or recommend a book or website that provides advice about getting these items back in operating condition?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Johnson

Date: 12/30/00 18:53
RE: Running Old Lionel?
Author: alaska

The best advice I can give you would be to try to contact a Lionel service center either through a local hobby shop or Model Railroader Mag.
The equipment needs to be taken apart and cleaned by someone who is familar with these trains.
Finding a local club may be helpful. Be very careful about sending the units out to be repaired.

Date: 12/31/00 02:53
Author: ak

Hi there,

Go to Kalmbach.com then click on the following:
Products
Books
Kalmbach Catalog
Toy Trains

scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see a Repair and Operation section, order the book you need and you should be back in business.
I gave my dad the Greenberg's Repair and Operating Manual for Lionel Trains, 1945-1969. The power cord on the transformer should checked to see if it dry rotted or cracked. The tranformer should be checked by a Lionel Service station.

Good luck,
R.K.

Date: 12/31/00 06:08
Author: trainman

The Saskatoon Railroad Modellers, a group of volunteers at our local museum, does this as a free service. Chances are you don't live anywhere near Saskatchewan, but there may be similar groups or clubs in your area.
-trainman-

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds