Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > ESU 50321 speaker, Tsunami2 21 pin sound decoder

Date: 01/05/17 21:34
ESU 50321 speaker, Tsunami2 21 pin sound decoder
Author: fbe

I just installed my first of these speakers tonight. These are the flat rectangular "cell phone" speakers. I am impressed with the quality and volume of the sound from this speaker.

The speaker comes with 5 plastic parts to build a variety of sound boxes in longer or deeper variants. I used one small flat and the deeper box sides to good effect.

This went into a recent Atlas Alco S2 switcher. The speaker box went into the oval speaker enclosure built into the model. I used one of the new Tsunami 21 pin decoders. This installs on the unit motherboard via 21 pins on the underside of the board. It is a nice fit between the top of the front truck and the light board. This works well since there is little space inside the shell to mount the decoder. Yes a plug in decoder could replace the motherboard but this 21 pin sound decoder installs by plugging in onto the motherboard and soldering the two speaker wires to the board. This is a pretty quick install.

The Tsunami2 sounds are clean though I have only tried the 539 Turbo sounds for the S2. The bell sounds flat like a steel bell and I haven't found the right single tone switcher horn yet. There are a lot more sounds, functions and complexity to this decoder than was previously available in US decoders. I think this is really going to excite many users.

This has been a rewarding half day project. I know I will be using more of these speakers in tight spaces in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/17 21:54 by fbe.

Date: 01/06/17 08:13
Re: ESU 50321 speaker, Tsunami2 21 pin sound decoder
Author: sixaxlecentury

One thing to keep in mind when using these,  is often the decoder is set as loud as possible from the factory.   This will overdrive these little speakers, and make them sound distorted.  As soon as you lower the volume, it is fine.   I picked some hairs out trying to figure this out,  then it was a simple "Duh" moment.  

Soundtraxx Minicubes are prooving to be very good speakers also, especially for the price.  

Date: 01/06/17 08:22

The ESU and Soundtraxx look like they might be the same speaker. The ESU ones were the first I saw about a year ago so I bought a couple to have on hand. The box options ESU offers with the speaker are convenient.

Date: 01/06/17 09:04
Author: BAB

I agree that the Soundtraxx 2  seems better than the old decoder much cleaner well defined sound.  I turn the main volume down first then set eac sound to what I like, bell is one that goes down, I find them annoying if too loud like to only hear it when its going by me.
The engine,EMD, sounds are much better also than the old might change out the Walthers UP E heritage units with the new board.  Also found out that if you short out the speaker it immediatly frys the amp and melts the heat shrink in an instant.

Date: 01/06/17 10:58

I also have installed two of the Tsunami2 drop in EMD decoders with Lakeside Hobbies rectangular speakers in boxes in a pair of Genesis MP15AC diesels. One was non sound and the other had the MRC(?) or whatever decoder. I am replacing all the light bulbs with Miniatronics incandescents so I have not finished assembly yet to hear the final sound.

I do wish manufacturers would learn a 12 cyl non turbo sounds notably different than a 16 cyl non turbo prime mover for EMD diesels. Same with the pre-7 GEs. A U23 (12cyl) under load has a sharper bark than a U30 (16 cyl).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/17 11:46 by fbe.

Date: 01/06/17 12:32
Author: sixaxlecentury

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also have installed two of the Tsunami2 drop in
> EMD decoders with Lakeside Hobbies rectangular
> speakers in boxes in a pair of Genesis MP15AC
> diesels. One was non sound and the other had the
> MRC(?) or whatever decoder. I am replacing all the
> light bulbs with Miniatronics incandescents so I
> have not finished assembly yet to hear the final
> sound.
>
> I do wish manufacturers would learn a 12 cyl non
> turbo sounds notably different than a 16 cyl non
> turbo prime mover for EMD diesels. Same with the
> pre-7 GEs. A U23 (12cyl) under load has a sharper
> bark than a U30 (16 cyl).

Loksound has all of this.. 

Date: 01/06/17 13:36

Yes, I have Lok Sound decoders as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds