Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Model Railroading > Union Pacific CA3 caboose plans

Date: 01/06/17 09:24
Union Pacific CA3 caboose plans
Author: BAB

I need a drawing of the end railings on a CA3 caboose with the original railings. Tried UP heritage but they dont have any drawings talked to Bob K who was more than helpful about it. I need to scale them up to 1.5 scale as am not a good draftsman. Thanks Boyd in Chiloquin where we
only have two feet of snow on the level and was -24 last night.

Date: 01/06/17 16:47
Re: Union Pacific CA3 caboose plans
Author: AFReschief

If you can locate a copy of "Cabooses of the Union Pacific Railroad." by Jim Ehernberger and Don Stack, starting on page 135,  you'll find plans and photos of CA3s as built and later modifications.

Jim Leonard
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/06/17 17:11
Author: goneon66

it is a great book........

Date: 01/07/17 09:16
Author: BAB

Thanks have the book but the pictures and drawings are small and quite often when enlarging they will not come out crisp enough to use. Have been down that road when enlarging HO size plans to 1.5" scale on another caboose project. I think that a fellow has SP caboose drawings but is rather hard to figure out what he is selling.
A TO member is going to give it a try with those in the book. I do thank all who have responded to this. I am supprised there are no construction drawings of them somewhere Bob K said they didnt have any at the UP Historical place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 09:18 by BAB.

Date: 01/07/17 10:07
Author: wabash2800

Someone has drawings as that is likely where the drawings came from for the book? Contact the publisher or author?

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 10:13 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/07/17 10:47
Author: fbe

Don't enlarge the drawings all in one step. Try it in 3-4 enlargements and perhaps do a little clean up at each step.

There is another way to save the scan as a vector(?) diagram where the drawing is saved as mathematical equations then enlarged from these equations. Perhaps someone else can give the specifics on that process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 10:53 by fbe.

Date: 01/07/17 20:27
Author: grahamline

Saving the scan as a .jpg will produce a vector file that can be enlarged in a photo-processing or graphic arts program without getting a case of the jaggies. Scanning a line drawing from a book at 2400 dpi will produce a printout the size of a bedsheet. I like fbe's procedure of doing clean-up in stages. The caboose end diagrams in the book mentioned depict not only the end railing arrangement, but also the sills and the carbody behind it,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds