Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Peco HO curved turnouts

Date: 01/08/17 10:36
Peco HO curved turnouts
Author: fs321a

Hope everyones Sunday is going well.

What's the consensus on peco curved turnouts?

I purchased a few over the holidays while on sale and come to find out my 6 axles barely negotiate them. Auto racks, refers, well cars.....no dice unfortunately.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jon in Az

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/17 11:18
Re: Peco HO curved turnouts
Author: bobk

I have several Peco Code 83 insulfrog curved turnouts and have no trouble with them.  All my rolling stock, including 6-axle diesels and 86' cars, negotiate them flawlessly.  I was originally a bit hesitant to include them in my track plan because of the longer frog and point rails, thinking I might be asking for trouble, but ultimately have been very pleased with them.  I carefully checked the gauge before installing them, and they were spot on all the way through both routes.  Wonder if you just have a bad batch?

Date: 01/08/17 11:26

Hmm maybe. These ones are code 100 (blue package) and possibly a tighter radius than I realized.

Jon in Az

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/17 11:40
Author: bobk

Ah, didn't realize they made curved turnouts in Code 100.  So we're talking about two different things then.  Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Code 100 version.

Date: 01/08/17 11:58
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Peco makes/made two different sizes of curved turnout in Code 100. The "large radius" curved turnout corresponded to curve radii of 60" and 30". Not sure what curve radii the smaller turnout was, but I'd guess it's pretty sharp comparatively.

​Don't forget Peco's Code 83 line is designed to North American engineering standards with straight frogs of predetermined angles, i.e., No. 6 or No. 4. The Code 100 and Code 75 lines are made to European standards and utilize frogs with the diverging curve radii continued through the frog. Not terribly prototypical for this side of the pond but makes for smooth, flowing trackwork.

I used several of their Code 100 "large radius" curved turnouts in a previous layout with no troubles whatsoever. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again, either. Their quality control is EXTREMELY good and out of the box I only had two gauge issues in over 100 turnouts, far less than the other brands.

​NZ

Date: 01/08/17 12:24

Looks like I got the small radii ones alright dang it.

Thanks for the info NZ

Jon in Az

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 12:25 by fs321a.

Date: 01/08/17 12:54
Author: Jimmies

I had one of the short curved turnouts (code 100) a long time ago, I can't really imagine 6 axle engines making it around the radius on them. The longer size code 83's I have now have never been a problem for me at all.

Jim

Date: 01/08/17 17:59
Author: RailThunder

I have Peco Code 83 with ElectroFrog and powered up with either Frog Juicers or Circuitron Tortoise.  They have performed flawlessly.   

Date: 01/08/17 18:16
Author: tomstp

Check the flange way on the curved portion.  Sometimes the plastic insulation is a little thick and binds a truck.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds