Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > Changes Coming to Delaware Valley Traction Company

Date: 01/10/17 04:27
Changes Coming to Delaware Valley Traction Company
Author: birdman

For a number of reasons, it has become necessary to shorten the Delaware Valley Traction Company layout by 15 feet.  This will result in the elimination of the terminal loop and car storage yard at Johnsville.  A major reconstruction project will relocate the loop and yard to what is now the village of Ivyland.  Here are three photos taken before work began and one photo showing the start of the re-building process.

1. Outbound express motor No. 47 approaches the station at Ivyland.
2 and 3. Motor No. 15 is in the shop for service; so, steel combine No. 26 substitutes on the afternoon mixed train from New Hope.
As construction proceeds in the near future, I will post photos of the progress.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 11:51 by birdman.

Date: 01/10/17 04:27
Re: Changes Coming to Delaware Valley Traction Company

4. Reconstruction underway.

Date: 01/10/17 08:46
Author: leonz

Your excellent work has increased my desire to build a modern-1980's version of the cascade division from Skykomish to Wellington and 
crossing the mountains with modern switchbacks and snow sheds to a 1980's era cascade tunnel station as a railroad town with railroad shops,
electric locomotives, a turntable and eliminating the need for either cascade tunnel.

I did some figuring and it would require space that would occupy at least an area about 70 feet long and
8 feet wide using N scale. I would certainly love doing this and taking it to railroad shows.

Date: 01/10/17 10:37
Author: tehachapifan

Absoulutely love the theme, feel and look of this layout! Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Date: 01/10/17 11:39
Author: CPR_4000

That switch in front of the gon in the 3rd photo is interesting. Do you have a picture that shows the whole thing? Sorry to hear about the cutbacks . . . have the buses been ordered? ;-)

Date: 01/10/17 11:50

As requested....1/2 inch scale modeling can chew up a lot of space in a hurry. Compressing two turnouts in this fashion is a space saver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 11:50 by birdman.

Date: 01/10/17 11:53
Author: boejoe

time to buy (eat) more popsicles!  (for those who haven't been following previous photo stories, the ties are made from popsicle sticks, as I recall)

Date: 01/10/17 12:09

Yes, popsicle sticks with the rounded ends trimmed off makes a perfect 8.5 foot tie in 1/2 inch scale.  The cutback of the layout by 15 feet is not a bad thing.  It frees up some space in the basement for another purpose, will reduce the amount of maintenance required, and will give me the opportunity to do what I like to do most - hand lay track and erect  functional overhead wire.

Date: 01/10/17 14:26
Author: CPR_4000

Thanks for the swtich photo!

Date: 01/14/17 15:41
Author: SandingValve

Looking forward to the reconstruction. Hopefully the DVT motors will have room to roam!

SV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds