Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > Best Methods for Trim Painting Steamer Drivers ??

Date: 01/11/17 20:02
Best Methods for Trim Painting Steamer Drivers ??
Author: rrman6

After reading cabman's posting, "painting handrails", brings to mind a different subject.  What would be best paint and methods for painting the white or silver trim on steam loco drivers and rods.  Several years ago I painted these areas of a Bachman Santa Fe 4-8-4 with white paint.  The nickel plated driver rims and side rods didn't lend well to adherence of this paint.  I'm just curious what level of quality others here have had with this subject and their recommendations leading to good adhering and no chipping of this paint. 

Date: 01/15/17 10:35
Re: Best Methods for Trim Painting Steamer Drivers ??
Author: SPED

The beat method? First don't drink coffee that day. Have you ever watched a professional automotive pinstripper? It is a challenge. I start with the correct brush, something long enough to "load" paint in the bristles of the brush. Then I get some good enamel paint and fill the brush with enough paint to almost drip off of it. Then I touch the area to be painted and lift the brush, lifting it to the point where only the paint is touching or bridging between the wheel and the brush. I either rotate the wheel or carefully work my way around it so I do not get any paint on the tread. It takes some time but "with a steady hand" you'll get it.

Regards,
Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds