Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Model Railroading > Masonite facia question

Date: 01/13/17 20:43
Masonite facia question
Author: wag

I have most of the 1/8" masonite hardboard up on my layout and thinking about covering the joints with spackle and sanding before painting. Curious if this has worked for others or if I should do something else. Thaks in advance. Wag

Date: 01/13/17 21:14
Re: Masonite facia question
Author: wabash2800

Yes, some do that and others use something that is flexible like that used on backdrop joints so that they will not crack with expansion and contraction. Of course, that may depend on your layout environment. I keep a dehumidifer running in the summer which humidity the biggest culprit in expansion and contraction of wood from my experience. The temperature never gets below 65 degrees in the winter and above 75 in the summer. I live in Northern Indiana.

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/17 17:28 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/13/17 22:21
Author: railwaybaron

Same weather for my garden railroad here in SoCal...although I could use a humidifier in the Summer. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/17 22:23 by railwaybaron.

Date: 01/14/17 06:34
Author: CNW

I have done that to my Masonite and 1/4" plywood fascia with good results.  I use wall plaster for my scenery and trowel it on the facia joints when I do the scenery.

Dennis

Date: 01/14/17 07:14
Author: BAB

Try looking up Phils Narrow Gauge on the net he used it on his layout and worked quite well. Oh they were 4x8 sheets its quite a large layout and if you email him and ask the same question he probably will tell you how he did it.
From the looks of it the room looks about the same size as Tom Millers layout in Sherwood OR both are Fn3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/17 07:15 by BAB.

Date: 01/14/17 16:23
Re: Building flats...
Author: SandingValve

Great looking layout. I like the concept of using a raised fascia to support a building flat along the front edge of the layout. The other buildings along with the building flat give that urban industrial feel to the scene when spotting cars along the foreground track. Nice work.

SV

Date: 01/15/17 12:45
Re: Building flats...
Author: CSX1346

Nice 👀. Do you have a web site or video?

Russ

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds