Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Model Railroading > Philly train shops

Date: 01/15/17 18:38
Philly train shops
Author: Alexmarissa

I am going to visit Philadelphia in March. What is the best train shop in the area for train books and magazines? Thanks in advance !

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/17 19:07
Re: Philly train shops
Author: NYSW1904

Nicholas Smith is pretty good.  Broomall PA. When your done you can get a great Cheesesteak out by Villanova, watch some trains, and catch the Wildcats play hoops.

Date: 01/16/17 05:23
Author: skyboxTTX

Try Doug's Trains, Toys, & Hobbies in Claymont Delaware, tons of magazines, books, and used and new trains(all scales) about 30 mins away from Phila if traffic is flowing. Just go down I-95 South to Delaware route 495, take the first exit off and go right down Philadelphia pike. The hobby shop is on the right side just past the Wa Wa convience store. Hobby shop is in the same building as the kitchen cabinet company. Owner used to be the manager of the train department at the old Mitchell's Family Store.

Address: 2505B Philadelphia Pike
              Claymont, DE. 19703

Phone: 302-478-7733

Date: 01/16/17 09:51
Author: RichM

And one more, depending on where you will be. Linn's Junction in Lansdale, about 25 minutes north of downtown off 476 / 309. This is a smaller shop than the first two recommendations, but has a fair amount of eclectic stuff and has a loyal customer base. Good DCC people.

All recommendations are good. Both Nicolas Smith and Linn's have large Lionel collections but also have good inventories of HO and N. All three do repairs and have good parts inventories. If you're looking for something 5+ years old or more, Nicolas Smith has a good inventory of older Atlas, Athearn, Walthers, Proto2000 but it's catch as catch can.

Rich

Date: 01/16/17 10:01
Author: CPR_4000

Yes, Linn's is a nice shop. Yankee Dabbler in Bellmawr, NJ is said to be very good, but I don't know what their book/mag situation is. I visited their display at a show in Florida and was pretty impressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/17 10:20 by CPR_4000.

Date: 01/16/17 20:29
Author: Chooch

I agree with the suggestion of visiting Nichols Smith in Broomall. I sold him my collection of 3 rail about a year ago and among my items were loads of publications.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 01/16/17 22:32
Author: Kemacprr

Nicholas Smith is a amazing store . The owner Chris Gans is a Lionel guy who also ran a speed shop concern for years. I've know Chris for about 40 years. He owns the building and lots of the stock is from other hobby shops that have gone out of business. Allow plenty ot time to explore as the store is packed. All scales are there . You just have to look !! --------  Ken 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds