Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > Old Tyco, AHM, Varney

Date: 01/16/17 19:27
Old Tyco, AHM, Varney
Author: miralomarail

This afternoon, out here in Cherry Valley, CA,
I started going through a Pick up truck full off Old Tyco, AHM , Varney trains, with 3 Truck loads to do

So are there any Rare models, I need to be looking for ?  Sad to see that many of the Train Cars and Loco's pretty much Junk and even wonder how some of the stuff even stayed on the Track ?

Have gone through a massive amount of Brass Track and Turnouts

We had to stop for the night, as it was getting too Cold outside

Amazing, I took a Very old Athearn F Unit and placed it on the track and the motor started running, as I fed it power ( How Old ?  It would not move as the Rubber Bands , need to be replaced ! )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/17 22:06 by miralomarail.

Date: 01/16/17 21:06
Re: Old Tyco, AHM, Varney
Author: sixaxlecentury

I hate to say it,  but while a good portion of model railroaders may think it is junk,  there is a BIG market for some of this stuff.  It aint high dollar atlas stuff,  but it does have a market none the less.  

Date: 01/16/17 21:43
Author: ATSF429

Ditto.  Especialy the Varney Stuff.  Used to be a main stay in HO.

Date: 01/16/17 22:13
Author: wabash2800

Some of the Varney cars are pretty good for when they were made. I always thought the stock cars were pretty good. There might be some frieght (coal hoppers or stock cars?) that folks would like to rework to come up with something they can't get anywhere else.

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/17 12:15 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/17/17 05:18
Author: HB90MACH

The Tyco royal blue steam engine fetches good money. So does the Bachmann jetliner. Especially.the yellow.box version. All that stuff would be worth selling in sets just because of the cost of todays sets. Junior could get a cheap set. Maybe make up sets to.donate to toys for.tots. that actually a good one. Also they make.good teat beds for weather and painting.novices. lots of ways to sell them. And.of.course. the. ecollections.

Date: 01/17/17 11:12
Author: ALCO630

With a little modeling effort, some can be turned into an okay car. While not a Kadee or Tangent, I'm happy with how it came out, I've preserved a car from my childhood,It got me a modeling project and I can leave it at the club and not worry about fragile details. 

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 01/17/17 18:50
Author: Cabhop

AHM's Helium cars are much in demand. 

Date: 01/17/17 19:00
Author: miralomarail

Cabhop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AHM's Helium cars are much in demand. 

Any Idea of what Roadnames they were painted in , besides DODX or USNX ?

Date: 01/18/17 19:52
Author: Clarence

The ones I have were UP and NYC.
Clarence G

Date: 01/19/17 19:49
Author: Cabhop

AHM painted the Helium cars in a number of of colors, yellow, red, green etc. and lettered for a number of roads none of which ever owned any of the Helium cars.  In real life the cars were all owned by the US government and painted silver, [which would weather to a light gray],  They were only lettered for the Navy [USNX], later for the Atomic Energy Commission [ATMX] and then for the Bureau of Mines [MHAX].

Date: 03/14/17 10:35
Author: oth1981-2005

Looking for Mantua/tyco Plymouth CR-4 locomotives from 1960-1989. Did you find any?
Larry  oth@prairieweb.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds