Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Model Railroading > Painting & Detailing a Shapeways HO vehicle

Date: 01/17/17 16:09
Painting & Detailing a Shapeways HO vehicle
Author: dgraves

I have a graveyard on my HO layout.  A few years ago, I purchased a 66 Caddy hearse from Neo models.  While it is a superb model, I really wanted something a little more modern.  My Shapeway 85 Caddy hearse arrived today.  I am not sure how to go about painting & detailing this model.  It is hollow inside; so I could carve out the window areas.  However, making a replacement windshield might be a bit tricky.  Also the grill work on the front is missing.  Anyone out there painted & detailed a 3D vehicle model.  If so, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Date: 01/17/17 17:11
Re: Painting & Detailing a Shapeways HO vehicle
Author: BNModeler

Holy Crap Batman!
Thats BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Date: 01/17/17 18:37
Author: icancmp193

Well, wait a minute here. You are asking for tips on how to finish the Shapeways model, but you show a photo of a complete model. Is that yours?

Tom Y

Date: 01/17/17 18:53
Author: railfan400

The finished model looks like the 1966 Cadillac while his Shapeways car is the more recent model. I have a couple of similarly printed Shapeways HO cars and am also wondering how to go about finishing them.

Date: 01/17/17 18:53
Author: imrl

Top picture is the 3D printed '85 Caddy hearse. Bottom picture is his '66 hearse. He would like the top model to look as good as the bottom.

Date: 01/17/17 19:01
Author: dgraves

correct

Date: 01/17/17 23:52
Author: bnsfmodeler

Creppy

Date: 01/18/17 09:09
Author: BAB

Check some of the currently operating ones many times they are quite old but are kept in like new condition.

Date: 01/18/17 10:23
Author: 3rdboxcar

Hi

Nice vehicle.

Before you do anything have a read here at my advice http://members.trainorders.com/3rdboxcar/preparing.html

If you are cutting out the windows be extremely careful as FUD / FXD material is quite brittle, drilling and sanding are ok but any forcing can crack a model.

Alexander

Date: 01/18/17 14:27
Author: Matt_Gidley

I have been curious about the 3D models but have been molding off because of the amount of finishing needed to bring them up to par with Herpa or Busch's vechiles.  I heard that the vehicles are becoming available in finer material, which costs more, but has a less striated finish.  Jahn3D is the guy that I've been following and he sells on Shapeways.  TO sum up the finishing - as I've heard from others- you need to very carefully sand to remove the striations and then fill with a putty and then sand again.  Repeat until you get all the layers smoothe4s out for painting.

Mike Budde is a guy I've kept an eye on over time as he does a lot of vehicles and loaded open air auto racks. He is heavily into 3D vehicle models and they look good after he finishes them.  Ken Patterson has had him on the Model Railroad Hobbyist videos before and he shows off his cars and talks about the steps to finishing them.  Go watch this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY95Q4nxtJw  first. Then you can check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oez9i3sBWKU for an interview with Jens Jahn. 

It's an interesting new frontier in vehicle modeling.  I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge yet, but the process and products are getting better all the time...  and they certainly have a great selection of vehicles.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds