Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Catching up on the Onondaga Cutoff

Date: 01/18/17 05:36
Catching up on the Onondaga Cutoff
Author: RGDave

Now that the backdrops are up, we are back to some more run-of-the-mill work on the Onondaga Cutoff.  It's a good time of year to make progress!

1.  I added sound, finally, to a pair of long-time members of the fleet - CR 6000, and CR 6611, both kitbashes I did back in the late 1990's.  They are running strong twenty years later, and now sound as good as anything else in the fleet.  

2.  Leftover pieces from the backdrop project were added to the lower level, where the main line enters and leaves 'offstage territory' and comes into the modeled area.  It's tight, but it now looks like trains are coming from somewhere instead of raw lumber studs!

3.  With the backdrop in place, it is now easier to visualize the foreground scenery.  Here's a start at some landform along the main line west of CP277, with TV202 passing by.

A few more....

Date: 01/18/17 05:41
Re: Catching up on the Onondaga Cutoff

4.  Modeling the Albany Division in the 1990's, I need a fleet of B23-7's for local, yard, and miscellaneous work.  Conrail used these units extensively in Central New York.  Here are several working the west end of Onondaga Yard.

5.  Another view of the west end of Onondaga, with the eastward home signals for CP280 to the right.

6.  The M&E was not forgotten with the backdrops - here we see Euclid Yard with a mock-up of the Doelger Brewing Company, a major online customer.  These buildings will stand in until the actual structures are completed, lit, and installed.  

Enjoy!
~RGDave
Modeling Conrail in Central New York in 1994
http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 01/18/17 07:36
Author: Setandcentered

Lookin' good!

Dave

Date: 01/18/17 07:41
Author: Pattenburg

Nice looking detailing on the CR gondola.

Date: 01/18/17 09:28
Author: Hookdragkick

Your threads are always welcome and inspiring.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/17 10:00
Author: Helo-Mech

Photo 3 looks awesome, nice work. Please post another from this vantage once the scenery is in the foreground.

Mike N.

Date: 01/18/17 10:54
Author: birdman

Fantastic.  Looks terrific.

Date: 01/18/17 17:29
Author: SandPatch1

The BACKGROUND photo or artwork ? is great.  can you provide more info on how you installed it and where y bought it or was this from your own photos.
looks better than any painted one I have seen.. excellent work
dave j

Date: 01/19/17 15:36
Author: lirrman

The RR looks great, Dave. What a difference. Well done.

Sully

Date: 01/20/17 07:36

Thanks for the kind words, all!

The backdrops are from backdropwarehouse.com and were put together online using their 'mock up' program, which is about as old and cantankerous a website as I've seen.  But - the results are quite stunning, especially when making photographs of the layout.  It does change the whole depth of field and supasses any painted backdrop I have seen for eastern scenery.

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds