Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers DQ Grill & Chill

Date: 01/19/17 18:32
Walthers DQ Grill & Chill
Author: dgraves

I bought the modern Walthers DQ Grill & Chill kit.  The attached photo is the Walthers picture of the structure that is on the outside of the box.  My question is this; has anyone put one of these together?  If so, what brand and color of paint did you use.  I am especially interested on how people are painting the brick work.  I am guessing that a uniform coat + dry brushing individual bricks would be the way to go, but am open to any suggestion that works.

Thanks,

Date: 01/19/17 18:46
Re: Walthers DQ Grill & Chill
Author: miralomarail

Dairy Queen uses their location in Bloomington, CA ( Looks just like this One ) to film their TV Commericals do to it being close to Hollywood

Date: 01/20/17 07:47
Author: bnsfsd70

Painting those bricks could prove to be awfully hard, so I might opt for a paper product, such as those from Scale Scenes.  

You can see their products here:
http://scalescenes.com/scratchbuilders-yard/

Perhaps the "Cream Brick" could work best:
http://scalescenes.com/product/cream-brick/

Thanks a lot,
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 01/20/17 12:52
Author: SPHTS_001

While I have yet to do this on a structure as a primary surface coloring method, I used to custom paint scale figurines for war gamers. I found that when needing multi-colored areas a good light color primer was your best first step. Looking at this image, I'd mask off the bricks and paint them with a very light FLAT primer gray, like SP lettering gray or maybe just a tad darker but not much. Then once that is very very dry, like a day or two later, I'd come back and do individual bricks with a thinned down water based color (using a very tiny fine point soft brush) to "flow" color onto individual bricks using the illustration as a guide. I would not get too crazy here, you want to capture the "feel" and not do a scientific duplication unless modeling a specific location and have photos of same. Once you are happy with the fascia you can over spray it with a clear of your choice which matches the buildings final appearance. Don't forget that color is subjective and lighting is very important to how color is perceived by a viewer. Try and do the project in the same light as it will be viewed under; this will help the finished model greatly.

John Huey
Simi Valley, CA
http://mancosbob.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx

Date: 01/20/17 15:48
Author: Lighter

> how people are painting the brick work.  I am
> guessing that a uniform coat + dry brushing
> individual bricks would be the way to go

You'll get as many techniques as there are replies!  The Walthers appears to be three or four colors painted onto the raw plastic.  With a flat finish coat.

Here is an example that I did of multi colored - actually speckled - brick.  Undercoat was red that I mixed from craft paints.  Actually, several shades of red all blended together.  It's a really big wall.  Then dabs of three or four shades.  Some craft paint, some alcohol marker, some prisma color pencil.  It went quickly since I didn't obsess about placement and precise color.  The second photo is cropped out of the original of same photo and shows how thoroughly sloppy the paint is applied.

Date: 01/21/17 08:16
Author: dgraves

That looks great

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0656 seconds