Home Open Account Help 202 users online

Model Railroading > Ford hoppers?

Date: 02/15/17 13:39
Ford hoppers?
Author: railwaybaron

Athearn and Branchline once issued 50t hoppers lettered for Ford Motor Co. Does anyone know where, when and on what railroad these hopper operated? Thanks!

Date: 02/15/17 13:57
Re: Ford hoppers?
Author: toledopatch

railwaybaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Athearn and Branchline once issued 50t hoppers
> lettered for Ford Motor Co. Does anyone know
> where, when and on what railroad these hopper
> operated? Thanks!

This is just a guess, but it would make a lot of sense for these hoppers to have brought coal and/or coke up to Dearborn on the DT&I, considering Ford's one-time ownership of that railroad and its direct route from Ohio coal fields to the Rouge complex.

Date: 02/15/17 16:28
Author: RichM

Yes, without any additional knowledge I agree with Toledopatch. The DT&I was electrified around the time that 50 ton hoppers would have been the norm, so the coal transport could have been met for the mill or steam for the power plants. Or both!

Date: 02/15/17 17:45
Author: boejoe

Back in the 50's Champ Decals offered HO Ford Motor Co decals for hopper cars.  I just "assumed" they were seen in that time frame.  Never saw a prototype photo tlhen (nor since)

Date: 02/15/17 19:07
Author: Larry020

Date: 02/16/17 05:24
Re: Ford hoppers? They Do Exist!
Author: Larry020

Here's the elusive creature in its natural habitat.  

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675030976_Ford-railcars-with-coal_coal-hopper_coal-cars_railcars_loading-coke

Sadly, I must add that I think they are all now extinct.  Like so many other creatures, they will now only live on our viewing devices.

Larry

Date: 02/16/17 06:55
Author: boejoe

Thanks guys;  have to admit this is the first time I've ever seen prototype Ford hoppers - and there were a bunch of them in that video clip.

Date: 02/16/17 07:07
Author: HB90MACH

The catanary supports for Ford electrified line are very unique. With some still standing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds