Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Model Railroading > Amtrak Big Game Train P-diesels?

Date: 02/15/17 13:47
Amtrak Big Game Train P-diesels?
Author: railwaybaron

Athearn just released two Amtrak P-units lettered for the Heartland Flyer Big Game Express. When did these units run? Did they operate off-line as well? Were the units used on both ends of the Flyer at the same time? What was the "Big Game", I know nothing of football. Thanks?

Date: 02/15/17 14:16
Re: Amtrak Big Game Train P-diesels?
Author: EspeeGoldenState

http://history.amtrak.com/blogs/blog/amtrak-and-football

"Soon after the launch of the Heartland Flyer (Oklahoma City-Fort Worth) in June 1999, Amtrak and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation added an additional coach to accommodate fans headed south to Dallas for the October “Red River Rivalry” football game between the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas. The famous match-up began in 1900 and since 1932 has coincided with the popular State Fair of Texas. Based on the success of that trip, the “Big Game Train” continues today."

And both are currently running, the larger of the two logos was done first, I want to say the other was done this year or last year.

189 was done looks like in 2013 and continue to wear it, 52 was in 2011 only, 50 was done this year in smaller sized logo

Chris

Date: 02/15/17 15:06
Author: toledopatch

The 189 lost its Big Game Train logos a year or two ago. The 50 was done with the smaller logos in 2016.

There was another one with the bigger logos, like the 189, but I don't remember its number or how long those markings lasted. I'm sure that information can be found, though.

The 189 and the 50 have both operated system-wide.

Date: 02/15/17 15:34

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 189 lost its Big Game Train logos a year or
> two ago. The 50 was done with the smaller logos in
> 2016.
>
> There was another one with the bigger logos, like
> the 189, but I don't remember its number or how
> long those markings lasted. I'm sure that
> information can be found, though.
>
> The 189 and the 50 have both operated system-wide.

I stand corrected on 189, it had its logo until mid 2016.

Date: 02/15/17 17:07
Author: railwaybaron

Thanks for all the Big Game info, but no one has answered the question on how the train was made up. I recall that the Heartland Flyer uses two P-units one on each end of the train. If so, were the Big Game units used as such on one train? Thanks!

Date: 02/15/17 17:20

Google/YouTube for:Amtrak #821/822 "Heartland Flyer's Big Game Train"s (2012-2016)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds