Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Model Railroading > 1/87 Foaming in San Diego

Date: 02/17/17 10:59
1/87 Foaming in San Diego
Author: cchan006

I visited the San Diego Model Railroad Museum and the La Mesa Model Railroad Club recently. It was supposed to be a public transit only trip with no rental car - yes, flying on Southwest is like riding a bus in the air - but that changed, and I'll report on that later.

- Dumb Luck in 1/87 scale - I caught a UP Special leaving Bakersfield. Departure delayed by BNSF manifest (shown) which got delayed by derailment in Bakersfield (not shown yet).

- UP Special approaching Ilmon (UP Heritage Fleet is in tip-top shape in this 1/87 world).

- More Dumb Luck! (UP Special into Tunnel 1, UP 1989 & Miss Katy approaching Caliente)

Date: 02/17/17 11:05
Re: 1/87 Foaming in San Diego

- UP Special on Walong (Tehachapi Loop), coming out of Tunnel 9.

- The tell-tale magically appeared, and the recent siding extension project disappeared, as time machine functions well in 1/87. Approaching Tunnel 10.

- Following the UP Special is a throwback piggyback train with autoracks up front, with my favorite Dumb Luck Heritage Unit leading, the UP 1989. Not quite long enough to loop over itself at Walong. One of the autoracks derailed in Bakersfield earlier.

Date: 02/17/17 11:19

- New meets the old. Rio Grande ran the wildest detour ever, running a Tunnel Motor-led coal train from Colorado to Tehachapi, probably to confuse the coal train protesters. Anything is possible in 1/87. :-)

- I went for a Cajon92 "Metal Foaming" angle, but I was out of shape, so I couldn't quite go high enough. Either that or my human drone  went into fail-safe mode and I couldn't climb higher. Between Walong and Woodford.

- I shrank further and went 1/160 for this shot, Goat Canyon Trestle in the Carrizo Gorge. In this N scale world, impossible is possible, and scams turn into operating trains instantly. There was no one at the Pacific Desert Lines, so this train was running automated - the horrors! (Not to worry, no high tech companies promoting "driverless" technology in 1/160 - no scams allowed) :-)

Date: 02/17/17 11:37

The La Mesa Model Railroad Club is continuing the scenery work on the layout. That just means I'll continue visiting this wonderful museum to monitor progress.

- Scenery work has started around Rowen.

- Tunnel portals, 17, 16, 15.

- Progress on the terrain between Tunnels 15 and 14.

Date: 02/17/17 12:20
Author: Kimball

Is there both an HO and an N scale layout?

Date: 02/17/17 13:13
Author: DKay

Yes there are a number of different scales represented in the one building.Even a small outdoor operation .
Regards,DK
Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there both an HO and an N scale layout?

Date: 02/17/17 13:24
Author: ESPEE5318

Let see......two large HO layouts , one large Nscale layout, O scale layout, tin plate three rail layout, G scale display out side........

Date: 02/17/17 23:16
Author: 2720

The N Scale Pacific Desert Lines will NEVER have to worry about the 
Extremely Unethical, Bent Folks of Bad CZRY/PIR infamy!!

Yes, NO SCAMS Allowed!!

Mike

Date: 02/18/17 08:38
Author: osp1729

In photo #11 what is the deal with the six padlocks visible beneath the tunnel portals.  Possibly club member equipment storage?

Shawn

Date: 02/18/17 18:35
Author: Wildebeest

Shawn

The locks are for doors covering the east end staging yard (east of Mojave), where part of the pooled fleet of equipemnt that we use for transition-era operating sessions is kept.  The club also has several other locked hidden storage yards. 

D F W
-------------------------------------------------------
> In photo #11 what is the deal with the six
> padlocks visible beneath the tunnel portals.
>  Possibly club member equipment storage?
>
> Shawn

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.068 seconds