Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Model Railroading > Pattern from a Photograph.

Date: 02/17/17 17:23
Pattern from a Photograph.
Author: wabash2800

I'm using a photograph resized and printed on paper as a pattern for a scratch-built model. It's for a cantilever signal bridge (not available commercially). Anyway, the resized print is great for getting the ABS girders and gussets exactly where I want them; but if I use a solvent or "super glue", the girders will stick to the paper. Yes, I can just cut and scrape the paper off, but I'd like to not have to do that. I believe airplane modelers of old when using balsa wood used wax paper btw the paper and the wood didn't they? But it's likely the solvent or super glue used in my application will stick to the wax paper. Would glass work any better? I only plan on making one or two of these, and if I make two, I'll cast the second one in resin using the first set of assembly parts as a mold pattern.

​Thanks in Advance

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/17 17:25 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/17/17 17:40
Re: Pattern from a Photograph.
Author: wjpyper

I use Testors CA for wood models over plans printed on paper covered with wax paper to build models with no problem. Just like I did when I built model airplanes.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 02/17/17 17:41
Author: danco

Laminate it with a hot laminating machine...

Before building your signal bridge, test whatever glue you're planning to use to make sure it doesn't stick...

Date: 02/18/17 15:53
Author: sandmanre

I second the wax paper over the plans.  Used to use it for model planes and CA and didn't have any problems.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/17 15:57 by sandmanre.

Date: 02/18/17 16:21
Author: wabash2800

Thanks all. I will try the wax paper and the CA.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 20:56 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds