Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for tips on assembling styrene car sides

Date: 02/18/17 18:07
Looking for tips on assembling styrene car sides
Author: jkchubbes

I bought a set of styrene car sides from Union Station Products for a baggage car that I want to model.  I've never worked with styrene before, using this as a project to hop back into the hobby.  I was curious if anyone had any tips on assembling a car sides model?  I have scoured the Internet for how-to articles or tutorials but come up blank.  What kind of glues and tools do you guys recommend?

Date: 02/18/17 21:47
Re: Looking for tips on assembling styrene car sides
Author: fbe

Use the Tamiya super thin liquid cement and let it flow into the joints.

Date: 02/19/17 06:10
Author: NSTopHat

There are several YouTube tutorial videos about how and where to use Tamiya liquid cements. Though they are typically geared towards scale model builders, i.e. armor, aircraft, ships, etc., the principles still apply. As another poster replied, use the Tamiya Super thin., applicator brush is integrated into the cap.

One other trick that the master builder at Squadron models uses is to use Tamiya tape to hold things together and NOT to squeeze too hard so that melted plastic comes oozing out of the joints.

Regards
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 07:17 by NSTopHat.

Date: 02/20/17 11:08
Author: ATSF3751

jkchubbes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a set of styrene car sides from Union
> Station Products for a baggage car that I want to
> model.  I've never worked with styrene before,
> using this as a project to hop back into the
> hobby.  I was curious if anyone had any tips on
> assembling a car sides model?  I have scoured the
> Internet for how-to articles or tutorials but come
> up blank.  What kind of glues and tools do you
> guys recommend?

I have used ACC gap filling cement for years without problem.

I stopped using core kits very soon after building my first models. I asked the manufacturer to resize the sides to fit Walthers cars, and in some cases even to fit an Athearn 77 ft chair car and once on a Rapido car. I replace the existing sides. In the photo, a Walthers car was used as a base for the converstion. The underbody was completely redone as was the interior. The sides are by Laser Horizons. They are very accomodating with special request.

The second photo in SP2427, and was rebuilt using custom Laser Horizons sides on an Athearn 77ft chair car. I removed the original sides and replaced with the smooth sides. Bracing and other modifications were required. Painted with Allclad 2 stainless and Tru color aluminum and Lark dark grey.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/17 11:17 by ATSF3751.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds