Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > The trend towards ESU

Date: 02/18/17 18:31
The trend towards ESU
Author: JLW2K

As some of you know, I have my ear to the ground pretty well around the hobby.  People love to email, comment or Facebook message me about what excites them.  I especially hear the excitement when they send in review requests.  

One recent example is:  "Please review the new Walthers UP Heritage units in the SD70ACe scheme, I just wish they put ESU in them." 

The second part of that message specifically, the "I just wish they put ESU in them," had caught my attention because I had seen a lot of that in recent years which made me keep a closer eye on this European company with it's US headquarters tucked away in Pennsylvania.  Once I was getting several emails a month about them from viewers, I knew a trend was taking shape and I started paying even more attention but have kept relatively quiet about the trend.  All of my viewer email, correspondance, etc gives me a fairly accurate crystal ball on what's exciting or trending in the hobby.

I noticed Atlas, Bowser, Intermountain, Kato, Rivarossi and Rapido jump on board the ESU train.  Some slow rolled the process and offered some products with ESU and some with Soundtraxx.  Then, I really took notice when Athearn announced that some products would be ESU.  To my count that had left just Walthers and Bachmann who had not yet at least tested out ESU with their customers...then the other day Walthers announced ESU in their GP9.  So it seems this wave of change has ran though nearly every major manufacturer..  Which leaves me to wonder...what will become of Soundtraxx?  

Will they be ok selling stand alone decoders?  Will they come up with something revolutionary to turn the tide back?  Can they hold on to the products they still have with Athearn, Bachmann and Walthers primarily?  I haven't yet had time to sit down and look at Tsunami 2 but the feedback from viewers is some pleasure and some dissapointment.  The dissapointment was with the sound quality and variety not being exponentially better.  The people happy with Tsunami 2 are happy with the new features.    

What are your thoughts in regards to Soundtraxx's future?

James Wright
Omaha, NE

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/17 18:41 by JLW2K.

Date: 02/18/17 18:42
Re: The trend towards ESU
Author: sixaxlecentury

Soundtraxx would not listen to what people kept asking them for,  and they suffered for it.   Loksound listened,  and look what happened.  

In my area (quite a few LARGE layouts, of which most have converted to all ESU), the only decoders that seem to be even discussed anymore are ESU's and WOWSound.  ESU for Diesel, and WOW for Steam,  and now with ESU steam coming, I forsee that swinging towards almost all ESU. 

Its a good product, good people, and great support, with ALOT of variety.   I didnt get that from Soundtraxx, and am not looking back.   

Date: 02/18/17 21:04
Author: markloos

Hey, James.  It's not just the sound that is causing the switch. I have been using Soundtraxx products for years (and I like their sounds) but I nearly always "paired" them with either Zimo or ESU power decoders to achieve the spectacular slow speed motor control.  Then ESU stepped up to the plate with terrific sounds along with their motor control features - a good example being controls for initial start up and shut down sounds.  Soundtraxx is still way behind in this.  On the plus side for Soundtraxx, the new Walthers Plymouth ML-8 switcher uses a NON-SOUND Soundtraxx decoder with a current keeper that has outstanding slow speed operating characteristics. Hope Soundtraxx wakes up -would hate to loose their good products. Mark   <><

Date: 02/18/17 22:11
Author: navarch2

I have large numbers of both, and the ESU decoders are definitely the better sound producer vs the original Tsunami... and they also do a better job on speed control...but the Tsunami 2 decoders are catching up....horns are far more crisp and well done and motor control seems vastly improved. 

Bob

Date: 02/19/17 03:22
Author: kgmontreal

ESU's greatest strength is Matt Herman the US manager.  He's an active railfan and really knows what any particular diesel locomotive sounds like.  TCS WowSound might be good for steam sounds but when I stopped at their booth at Springfield to compliment them on one of their diesel sounds their representative only wanted to talk about steam sounds.  I smiled and backed away.

KG

Date: 02/19/17 08:20
Author: KM-ML4000

I have removed all my Soundtraxx decoders, and switched to ESU for flexibility. The fact that you pay extra money for a Genesis locomotive with a Tsunami (not Tsunami 2), and the decoder does not have the proper air horn file for the type of horn on the model killed Tsunami for me. Interactions with Athearn and Soundtraxx did not yield any useful exchange or answers, so that was it for me.

At least with ESU, I can update sound files, or with V4.0 decoders, I can create my own custom project.

KM

Date: 02/19/17 09:25
Author: PeaBock619

Tsunami was king back in the day (until last year). Nowadays, a lot of my friends like Loksound for diesel locos. I am going to put Loksound in a lot of my diesels that don't have sound already and use any Tsunami decoders I have in others too.

Date: 02/19/17 14:10
Author: brfriedm

I will make a few comments.

If you have been in this hobby for abit and you go back in time, the first real big company in DCC sound was QSI. They were the kings of the hill. All companies offering sound were using them and they were on a roll. Over time, customers started asking for refinement from them with better quality and authentic sound and for them to address the "in rush current" their decoders were experiencing with their products. They did not react. From what I remember, QSI was basically 2 guys. Soundtraxx was really the one to knock them off their perch with the Tsunami. Loksound existed in those days but they were known for mostly European sound and their US engine sound offerings were limited. Tsunami was a huge hit and basically put QSI out of business over time(QSI is still around FYI).  

Then Matt showed up at ESU and took over the US operations. He was a railbuff and wanted to put Loksound on the map. He went out and started offering new sound recordings and updated older ones. He drove the 21 pin standard we see today and he pushed the manufacturers to consider Loksound for their factory installed products. One by one he has taken out Soundtraxx. Folks who know this industry have told me one of the things he has offered to the manufacturers was ESU would build Loksound decoders in China close to where the manufacturers make their engines, ESU has also offered better payment terms to assist cash flow and the ability for ESU to customize what ever needs to be done to get a great product to market. Finally over time, he has offered not just better sound files but new features that incorporate train control.

The owners of Soundtraxx are great folks and I have met them once.  They are smart people and have built the cool company in Durango. They employ many folks, have just built a brand new facility where they manufacture all their decoders. Made in America. They have great tech support and to be frank, they are a real company in the US.  So where have they gone wrong? Well I can only surmise from a distance but from what I have been told, they are stubborn folk. Slow to change. As we all know, Soundtraxx does not allow for updating of their sound decoders with new sound files. One of the owners has publicly stated she will never do that. Easy to say when u are king/queen of the hill but no longer. A big strike against Soundtraxx. Soundtraxx was also way too slow to come out with an update to Tsunami 1.  Way too late. They rode the wave of Tsunami 1 too long and got out done.

So I have installed a couple of Tsunami 2's. I think they are outstanding. Great and crisp sounds, the loud horns and bells we always wanted and great motor control. Many more bell and horn selections.  They are down to 2 main manufacturers now. Athearn and Bachmann.  They need to hold onto them for sure. They do allot of self install business but I have to imagine over time this will shrink and of course TCS has done some good business here and it looks to be growing.

Soundtraxx also has the Blackstone narrow gauge business and that looks to be doing well with the sale of freight cars and steam engines so they do have some diversity. I am sure they are looking to diversify even more to survive. I want them to survive. I think the hobby is better with them. They need to be more flexible. I plan to support them in the future along with Loksound.

Finally, the big elephant in the room for ESU Loksound is if Matt leaves, that business could be challenged. They look to me to be a one trick pony for US operations and that has to be watched long term.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 14:23 by brfriedm.

Date: 02/19/17 14:19

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  I want them to
> survive. I think the hobby is better with them.
> They need to be more flexible. I plan to support
> them in the future along with Loksound.
>
> Finally, the big elephant in the room for ESU
> Loksound is if Matt leaves, that business could be
> challenged. They look to me to be a one trick pony
> for US operations and that has to be watched long
> term.
>
> Bruce

I agree, I think the hobby is better with competition and that means ESU, Soundtrax and TCS as the top three in my opinion.  I was just interested in what they can do to remain competitive.   I also agree that Matt is the key to ESU's success.  Talk about job security!  I think Matt might have the best job security in the world.

-James Wright Omaha, NE

Date: 02/19/17 15:19
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I have a fairly new Walters GP20 with Soundtrax factory installed sound, and the sound quality is
pitiful.  I complained to walthers customer service and the guy there admitted the decoder they
use from Soundtrax is of inferior quality, and informed me something to the effect that he feels my pain
but that's what the big wigs approve for that engine so that is what the customer is saddled with.  I got
the impression it was a cheap OEM version of the original Tsunami.

I have been to the old and new Soundtrax facilities in Durango and really want them to be my decoder
Supplier of choice as they are made right there in Colorado, but they make it so hard to be my #1.

Date: 02/19/17 16:38
Author: retcsxcfm

brfriedm Wrote:
> I will make a few comments.
>
> If you have been in this hobby for abit and you go
> back in time, the first real big company in DCC
> sound was QSI.

Bruce,
I have been in this hobby longer than you are old,but that
is neither here nor there.
Soundratxx has been around since the mid-ninties,is QSI
older than that?

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 02/19/17 17:06
Author: Kemacprr

Soundtrax started with the DSD series back in the mid 90's. QSI if I remember correctly started with BLI and their NYC Hudson and then the PRR M-1a. My personal take on the sound situation is that once Matt came to ESU that was the defining moment in their product line. I had tried some ESU decoders years before and the prime mover sound and horns were very weak. The motor control surpassed Soundtrax out of the box and that is important. But the sound back then sold me on Soundtrax and I became a very good customer for their product despite the motor control issue I just lived with it.   While it could be adjusted it took too much work to do so in my opinion. Again while all things can be adjusted the operation out of the box is critical for customer satisfaction. Also the ability of the ESU units to be upgraded or easily changed gives them an advantage. I'm getting ready to make the last era change to my Buffalo line from the 1956-57 era to a 1964-1975 era. I already have most of the needed locomotives for the new era  and a number have Tsunami's in them which I will replace with ESU units.  I hope Soundtrax finds their way and continues in their model railroad business adventures as Bruce mentioned earlier. Competition improves the breed !!  For me currently ESU is the path I have chosed to take. ---   Ken McCorry

Date: 02/19/17 17:25
Author: ESPEE5318

Yes the old Soundtrax DSD-150 I bought a few we thought they were great at first then I went back to no sound with TCS decoders then ESU came out with their sound decodes (this is long before the factory installed LOK stuff) and I bought many of the LOK 3.5s, I only bought one Tsunami and was like this is "ok" but no ESU decoder. I was on the ESU LOKsound train long before the "industry" jumped on board. Athearn was still dicking around with MRC at the time. ESU has been way way out in front on the technology for many years (long before Matt got involved) I and other long time uses just shook our heads as others/the manufactures beat their heads against the wall with MRC/QSI/Sountraxx etc etc........Joe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 18:00 by ESPEE5318.

Date: 02/21/17 20:25
Author: RailThunder

KM-ML4000 Wrote:
> I have removed all my Soundtraxx decoders, and
> switched to ESU for flexibility. The fact that you
> pay extra money for a Genesis locomotive with a
> Tsunami (not Tsunami 2), and the decoder does not
> have the proper air horn file for the type of horn
> on the model killed Tsunami for me. Interactions
> with Athearn and Soundtraxx did not yield any
> useful exchange or answers, so that was it for
> me.
>
> At least with ESU, I can update sound files, or
> with V4.0 decoders, I can create my own custom
> project.
>
> KM

Precisely what drove me instantly from ever getting a manufactured Tsunami equipped engine again.  I paid extra for sound and got the run around.  I'm not venting, just an honest assessment of what happen and how I've reacted as a consumer and customer.  Extremely happy with Lok Sound.  

Date: 02/23/17 08:27
Author: tmurray

The Athearn agreement with ESU has been in place since Jaunary, Walthers is the latest.
This leaves Bachmann and Blackstone; that's it.

Date: 02/23/17 20:58

Well nothing is to say Walthers and Athearn will for sure fully switch to just ESU.  But it seems possible and perhaps probable.  As for Blackstone, that is Soundtraxx...so no ESU for that..ever.

Date: 02/24/17 06:54
Author: faraway

I wonder how little concern is raised about the humming sound at low speed. It is not of relevance in a noisy environment or with a large layout. But those of us with a small switching layout in a small room with the engine directly in front of us should at least raise a concern.I had a long conversation with ESU many years ago that ended with “works as designed”. I try to avoid ESU when ever possible. Each time they release a new product line (e.g. Sound 4 after Sound 3) do I retest the decoder but they are not able or willing to get it fixed.The worse engine I got is a Atlas MP15DC with ESU sound installed. It is humming like crazy. The best one is the Rapido GMD-1. But even that one has at least a present humming sound.
I am not writing about the sound itself. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 12:15 by faraway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1249 seconds