Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas Classic RS-3

Date: 02/19/17 12:14
Atlas Classic RS-3
Author: KsPoker

Has anyone had any experience removing the shell off of an Atlas Classic RS-3? And if so, is it possible to swap a shell from a Atlas Classic Silver (no Lok-Sound decoder) series to a Atlas Classic Gold (Lok-Sounder decoder factory installed) series? Point being is that I have a shell from a Silver series that I want to install on a Gold Series chassis so that I have sound with the right paint scheme that I'm looking for.

Seems like all the manufacturers have their way of making it hard to remove shells and I've never pulled one off of an Atlas RS-3 before.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Date: 02/19/17 16:26
Re: Atlas Classic RS-3
Author: retcsxcfm

Atlas RS3 shells are a PIA to remove,(as are all Atlas shells)There
are four tabs both sides two in front,two in back.The shell needs
to be squessed with two fingers at the bottom at the location
of the tabs.Like I say a PIA.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 02/19/17 17:25
Author: calsubd

You might have a little luck using 2 small screwdrivers to hold open the tabs on 1 side at a time, the shells pull straight up AFTER the couplers are taken off, CAUTION some engines have a back cab wall (this one may not) that is a B to reinstall

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 02/19/17 23:36
Author: WP282

What others said is true, but is quite do-able. I did exactly what you described, taking an Atlas classic BN RS3 shell and swapping it with a SP&S scheme shell from a chassis with Lok Sound. It worked just fine.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/20/17 00:07
Author: Larry020

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the couplers may be holding on too!

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Atlas/RS-3%20Sound/Atlas%20RS-3%20_WOW121-Diesel%20and%20AK-MB1.html

The first time I put one together, I hadn't yet taken one apart.  The 6.9 or was it 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake caused my RS to leave my display cabinet and find the floor some 435 scale feet below.  The parts dispersed in four directions.  However, I do not recommend recreating this event, however efficient it may seem.  

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/17 11:14 by Larry020.

Date: 02/21/17 10:32
Author: Casselton

You could've just asked your brother.   Ha Ha!     I recently installed a LokSound decoder with a Zino speaker in my Atlas Silver GN RS-3 #222.   I also installed new micro-LED headlights.

Casselton
Mark

Date: 02/21/17 14:44
Author: highgreengraphics

...And be gentle and careful not to break those tabs or the body will want to slide off on the affected end every time you pick it up. I have found that with age and especially custom painting that the tabs become brittle.=== === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds