Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > Broadway Limited Sound

Date: 02/20/17 07:34
Broadway Limited Sound
Author: BAB

I have a C16 by them and am having the sound changed to Soundtraxx as didnt like anything about the factory one. Was looking at the UP 4 12 2 they make and listened to the sound, whistle, bell and chuff doesnt sound any better than the C16 am I missing something as full scale UP didnt sound like that? Decided to wait on getting one and another item, they list 22" minimum but one person said it would go thru number 6 switches ok anyone have input on that or the sound?

Date: 02/20/17 08:38
Re: Broadway Limited Sound
Author: binder001

re: the 4-12-2 - it's a fun model to have but veryone agrees that the sound is wrong.  Biggest problem?  The UP 9000's were THREE cylinder locomotives with a very distinctive sound.  The BLI model has the sound of a standard 2-cylinder loco.  The solution to the synchopated exhaust would to to add a cam wiper or fancy electronics to the 2nd axle.  I don't regret having a BLI 4-12-2, but I fully recognize that the sound isn't right.  I have run mine on my mainline with 30 - 32" curves and #8 turnouts.  I haven't tried it on the secondary main that has 24" curves.  So; looks = good, sound = inaccurate, running fun = good.   I just "needed" one because they were quite common in Nenraska in their last years.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/20/17 14:15

Thanks as for the sound the chuff is way off not deep enough along with the phony sounding bell and whistle if I get one will change it out for Soundtraxx. Know that off beat cylinder sound isnt there but listened to the real thing a fellow recorded makes one think they forgot something when it was put together. Boyd

Date: 02/20/17 19:24
Author: Krokodil

You should be able to adjust the chuff to six per revolution. Of course the valve adjustment was rarely perfect, giving the engines a characteristic three cylinder sound. I posted a while back a vidoe with three cylinder engines to give a flavor of the sound.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3376746,3376746#msg-3376746

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 02/21/17 05:43
Author: Finderskeepers

I do believe the new tsunami 2 has a 3 cylinder option, have a listen...
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami2/playsound.php?s=s15

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/21/17 08:06

Will check that out and again dont like the sound any have with that system in it. I started installing the new #2 in things and all sounds are better than the old units which were very good anyway.  Whistles have that deep haunting sound that I like not the tinny sounding ones the BLI units have.  Thanks for the input from others now hope that when I get one it will track ok on the club track in Medford OR. Nice bunch over there always helpful and put up with my lack of operating skills on there track.
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do believe the new tsunami 2 has a 3 cylinder
> option, have a listen...
> http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami2/playsound.p
> hp?s=s15
>
> Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds