Home Open Account Help 142 users online

Model Railroading > Weathering Update

Date: 03/15/17 13:23
Weathering Update
Author: JUTower

Recently, I was asked by a friend for some progress photos, so, here are some cars I’ve completed over the last six months or so. I’m tending to do a fade airbrush coat, then acrylic detail, then PanPastel weathering, with Testors DullCote layers in between each step. I try to weather cars in batches, and my goal in most cases is to get a reasonably convincing car without too much time into it – my layout goals are are to have a bunch of 20-25 car trains that “look right”, as opposed to having a craftsman project for each and every car.  Every so often I get into a car and spend more time on it though.

In the photos -
1. Athearn CR "foobie" gon turned into a MWM yellow-ended gon for maintenance service
2. A couple Life-Like 100T hoppers. These cars really are nice for what they are.  (I own many more Bowsers). I renumbered these to make them H1A's, and added ACI labels and changed the CR logo on one of the cars.
3. NJI brass transfer caboose, modernized for the 1990's.

I have photos of a few more cars over at my website: http://www.jalexlang.com/2017/03/14/recent-weathering-updates/

Take care,
-Alex

Date: 03/15/17 17:54
Re: Weathering Update
Author: wheel_slip

Nice work!

andy

Date: 03/15/17 20:12
Author: atsf5701

Nice dirt and grime. I like the bends in the CR gondola.

Date: 03/16/17 09:51
Author: Casselton

Weathering is not for everyone in the hobby, but your work should inspire others to weather some of their fleet.   Really nice work.
Mark
Houston

Date: 03/16/17 11:07

Thanks for the compliments, guys!  Part of the fun for me is sharing progress and getting good feedback and suggestions.  I received a PM asking about the bends in the gondola car... I found a $20 heat gun on Amazon.com that has a variable temperature control.  After melting the ladder off of a car, I made a small template out of a scrap piece of wood, with a V-shaped notch cut into it, so that the heat would be focused on the top of the gon.  This way I could bend it out with my thumb while not heating the rest of the car.

Date: 03/17/17 13:32
Author: Jimmies

The gondola looks good, but I'm not too sure about the trucks.  Looks like powder caked on them quite thick. Try Krylon Flat Camouflage Brown as a base first.

​Jim

Date: 03/18/17 08:55

Jimmies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The gondola looks good, but I'm not too sure about
> the trucks.  Looks like powder caked on
> them quite thick. Try Krylon Flat Camouflage
> Brown as a base first.
>
> ​Jim

Jim,
Which gon, the PC gon? Good suggestion, easy enough to fix. Thank you!
-Alex

Date: 03/18/17 18:52
Author: Jimmies

My fault there, I shoud have been more specific.  I like the overall look of the MW gondola, but my comment regarding the trucks was about those on the blue caboose.

​When I weather the trucks on my railcars, I generally remove the wheels and trucks from the car, and take the axle sets out of the trucks. I then mask the wheel treads, and the holes on the back of the trucks that the axles fit into.  Doing so takes me 8 minutes per car.  I give the trucks and wheel faces quick, light shots of Krylon Ultra-Flat Camouflage Brown to act as the base colour. Then most often, I will add rust coloured weathering powder to just the wheel face, followed by a light amount of black weathering powder to dull down the rust tone, and just a bit of black to the truck also. I don't mean that I think this is the only way it should be done, but it works very well for me. I don't dull-cote the wheels and trucks, as the Krylon is a flat finish anyway.

​We don't often really see the wheels and trucks on our models, and they don't always show up in photographs either, but when they do, weathering them nicely makes quite a difference to the look of the freight car.

Jim
>
> Jim,
> Which gon, the PC gon? Good suggestion, easy
> enough to fix. Thank you!
> -Alex

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds