Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Model Railroading > Who Likes Hookers? Big Hooks...

Date: 03/21/17 09:12
Who Likes Hookers? Big Hooks...
Author: lizzard45

I have a couple of big hooks that I need to run the cabling through. One is an Athearn 200 Ton crane, and the other is a Walthers American crane.
Has anyone here threaded these beasts before?
Any helps and hints?
Anyone what to do this?

Date: 03/21/17 09:28
Re: Who Likes Hookers? Big Hooks...
Author: MojaveBill

I did the N one many years ago. My best advice is patience!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/21/17 11:03
Author: TCnR

There may be baseline info from the many Tichy steam crane articles or instructions. The Athearn and Walthers hooks are a nice start. There has been articles showing the numerous prototype versions that can be built using the Tichy crane.

Date: 03/21/17 11:47
Author: 4489

Patience is a needed virtue for this.  I did an Athearn one many years ago.  Following the indtructions provided did the trick.  However I still have 2 more to do.  (Future plans)

Date: 03/21/17 11:54
Author: cabman

If I recalll, it helps if you run the line through beeswax to make it easier to thread.  Haven't done mine yet either, so let's hear from someone who has used beeswax. 

Date: 03/21/17 12:28
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice looking cranes.  I"m going to have to go watch my Rio Grande Odyssey DVD to see which matche the crane in the video the best; there is an extended scene at the beginning of disk 2 showing a crane at work near the west portal of the Moffat Tunnel.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/21/17 14:45
Author: ALCO630

Yes, the orange crane is correctly strung according to the Athern instructions. However, this is what it should look like. The second pic is my version.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 14:46 by ALCO630.

Date: 03/21/17 14:52

A close up of the scratchbuilt pulleys and the whole thing.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 03/21/17 15:02
Author: leonz

The steam powered wreck cranes used at Wellington after the avalanche certainly looked shorter but they were
used in pairs to pull up the useable car bodies, trucks and wheel sets from what I remember seeing of the
wreck and salvage photos that were taken.  I do not know if any rolling stock was caught and pushed over the bank
in the second avalanche the next week.

Date: 03/21/17 15:36
Author: Jimmies

I did the Walther's one not too long ago, which is smaller, so less involved than what you've got. Key to doing this work was to keep tension on the cable. The instructions that came with mine had an error in them, so that certainly didn't help, and the length of "cabling" was about 3 inches too short whether I followed their instructions or did it correctly. My advice would be to pour yourself a drink when you start, and keep the bottle handy.

Jim

Date: 03/21/17 18:55
Author: KV1guy

Does anyone make a 6 axle 150 ton crane in HO?

Date: 03/21/17 19:37
Author: chitownjeff

I seem to remember AHM made a RTR six axle crane many moons ago, but couldn't tell you if it was a 150 or a 250 ton and whether it was diesel or steam. I do know they made them in both HO and N and came precabled and you could actually raise and lower both the boom and the winch.

Jeff

Date: 03/21/17 21:16
Author: PHall

KV1guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone make a 6 axle 150 ton crane in HO?
>  

150 Ton crane would not need 6 axles. 4 would be enough.
Smallest 6 axle crane would be about 200 tons.

Date: 03/21/17 21:17
Author: navarch2

Find a good ship modeling club nearby .....those folks are used to rigging sailing ships and this would be a piece of cake for them.....

Bob

Date: 03/21/17 23:34
Author: rschonfelder

Becareful with that title; I thought the "k" was a "t".

Good thing I re-read before I responded.

Rick

Date: 03/22/17 04:19
Author: acltrainman

Great looking wrecker there Doug, fantastic work and model.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 03/22/17 04:36

Thanks. Someday I'll have to post the entire train.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 03/22/17 09:03
Author: BAB

Somewhere I have an Athearn one that is all metal with sprung trucks. They had almost scale rigging on them and could be done today with extra shives instead of the one big fat pully.  They use the same exact parts but are metal not plastic.

Date: 03/22/17 09:50
Author: wjpyper

Interested in S Gauge? You can buy this crane and boom car set from the NASG. Go to www.nasg.org and click on Store, then AF Commemorative cars and scroll down to the crane.
Running S Gauge and not an NASG member? Go to www.nasg.org and click on membership.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0721 seconds