Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > P2K locomotive lighting question

Date: 03/21/17 22:43
P2K locomotive lighting question
Author: trainworm

I have a couple of Proto 2000 SW9/1200 drives that i am using for my SW1001s and i want to add better lights.  I have a pile of the little Athearn bulbs.  Can i just solder the Athearn bulbs to the P2K boards or is the voltage different?

Date: 03/21/17 22:52
Re: P2K locomotive lighting question
Author: fbe

The Life Like used to use 3 volt bulbs and the moved to leds are 3 volts. You can power up the unit and measure the light voltage output with a multi meter.

Oops, I forgot to mention the Athearn bulbs are 1.5 volt and will not survive the 3 volt power supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 08:18 by fbe.

Date: 03/22/17 07:48
Author: dlh

I think you have the voltage info but I'm curious about your SW1001 shells. What did you start with? Did you actually make them the correct cab heigth or fudge on that. They look really good from what I can see and I'm impressed.

Date: 03/22/17 08:22
Author: lizzard45

Are those Shapways SW1001 shells? If you don't mind sharing, how much were they?
Looks like a fun little project.

Date: 03/22/17 09:59
Author: NGotwalt

Trainworm, if you don't know about it, check out Mr. Surfacer from Mr. Hobby. It's a spray on substance that really hides the print lines of FUD and FXD incredibly well. I'm using it on a small European car that I am building, specifically a Rheatian Railways Ucek cement silo wagon. the main body of the car is a circular tank, and the one thing we all know 3D printers kinda suck at is any curve. This stuff smooths it out really quite nicely and can be sanded for an even better finish. Do a google search as Mr. Surfacer comes in 500, 1000, 1200, and 1500, and i think I used 1200, but its good stuff. I also hides the step lines of the printer really well on flat surfaces.
Cheers,
Nick

Date: 03/22/17 10:45
Author: trainworm

They are the shapeways SW1001 shells. So far they arent too bad to work with. A little rough in a few spots, but they look good.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 10:46 by trainworm.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds