Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > Radio Shack closure lists

Date: 03/22/17 09:58
Radio Shack closure lists
Author: joemvcnj

They have entered bankruptcy again. For those who like to shop for electrical parts there, here are 2 lists of store closures.

https://consumerist.com/2017/03/10/here-is-the-list-of-radioshack-stores-closing-soon/
https://consumerist.com/2017/03/16/here-are-the-365-stores-radioshack-wants-to-close-next/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 10:03 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/22/17 10:13
Re: Radio Shack closure lists
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Our store here in Tyler Tx closing next Friday March 31 and is becoming a Sprint phone store.

Date: 03/22/17 14:38
Author: ESPEE5318

I gave up on them for electronic supplies long ago..........

Date: 03/22/17 15:40

For little things like panel LED lights and switches, I liked them and enjoyed rummaging through their parts drawers to actually see what you're getting, something lost with on-line, Amazon and Ebay, just as I liked browsing through titles at the Video store.

Date: 03/22/17 17:26
Author: SPDRGWfan

ESPEE5318 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gave up on them for electronic supplies long
> ago..........

Same. Thus paseth the era of Radio Shack. Sears is next.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/22/17 18:03
Author: fbe

No Radio Shack in Missoula, MT for over two years and no alternative either. Spokane, WA is 200 miles west and that electronics story is mail order only behind locked doors. Hamilton, MT is 60 miles south with a small Radio Shack but it seems to be for phones, R/C cars and auto insurance. This is really really inconvenient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 19:34 by fbe.

Date: 03/22/17 18:52
Author: Tominde

You've got to sell lots and lots of LED light holders and bread boards to stay in business.   A few nerds and hobbiest won't keep them afloat.  Mine stays open.  Perhaps being a university town has something to do with that.

Date: 03/22/17 19:16
Author: pullmanboss

Used to go to the original Radio Shack in Boston back in the mid-1950s. Saturdays would find a bunch of us from the Tech Model Railroad Club going to Durgin Park for lunch, then hitting Radio Shack and at least one of the hobby shops - Hobbytown of Boston, Eric Fuchs, South Boston Model RR (across from South Station).... All within walking distance of each other. Simpler times, and Radio Shack was THE place to go for all those nifty electronic parts we experimented with. And we couldn't wait to get our hands on those brand new and somewhat expensive devices - transistors!

Tom M.

Date: 03/22/17 19:22
Author: mahnud

Perhaps Digikey, Mouser or Frys as options.  Any other suggestions?

Date: 03/22/17 19:25
Author: KeyRouteKen

Check out "Mouser Electronics"...   www.mouser.com/‎   They are in TEXAS with 1100 employees.  Must be good.

KRK

Date: 03/22/17 21:17
Author: tq-07fan

Tominde Wrote:
> You've got to sell lots and lots of LED light
> holders and bread boards to stay in business.  
> A few nerds and hobbiest won't keep them afloat. 
> Mine stays open.  Perhaps being a university town
> has something to do with that.

Over half are closing in Cincinnati area. Incidentally I bought a bread board from one of the ones closing down. Will probably go back and get some solid state and other stuff to hook up and light up or accidently let the smoke out of...

Jim

Date: 03/23/17 06:50

Chit-chatting with a store owner (who is on the March $hitlist) a couple of years ago with the first round of closures:
  • MBA stuffed shirts in Ft Worth make the decisions without knowing the local situation.
  • First thing they look at is rent. Shopping mall ones are generally the highest, strip malls the cheapest
  • Then proximity to a Sprint store
  • When they close a store, they liquidate the merchandise within, not simply ship contents to a surviving store a few miles away or back to the warehouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/17 06:51 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/23/17 06:57

Well kids don't buy and build AM radios and Heathkits in shop class anymore, and there is no shop class anyway.

Date: 03/23/17 09:05
Author: rrman6

While piddling with HO trains, then on to CB radio's in the mid-60's, there was the good old Allied Radio- Chicago and LaFayette Radio catalogs to browse and shop from, all becoming non-existent and followed by Radio Shack...now look where we are today!

Date: 03/23/17 19:42
Author: KeyRouteKen

rrman6 Wrote:
> While piddling with HO trains, then on to CB
> radio's in the mid-60's, there was the good old
> Allied Radio- Chicago and LaFayette Radio catalogs
> to browse and shop from, all becoming non-existent
> and followed by Radio Shack...now look where we
> are today!

OK you guys--  If you don't like my idea of Mouser Electronics, then follow the lead of rrman6 and go to oldtime NEWARK ELECTRONICS in Chicago, IL.   Since 1934 !!!!!!!!!!!!   Remember them ??  Over 1000 employees.  Just like ALLIED, LAFAYETTE, etc, etc.

YES,  NEWARK is still with us-- SURPRISE--SURPRISE !!  Also known as Newark14 ....   Check it out and don't complain.

KRK

Date: 03/24/17 11:10
Author: BKLYN

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Well kids don't buy and build AM radios and
> Heathkits in shop class anymore, and there is no
> shop class anyway.

EXACTLY

Date: 03/24/17 11:19
Author: brfriedm

Just a heads up that Radio Shack is offering steep discounts on their website. I bought about 100 dollars worth of stuff for $25.00.   Some items sold out but most of things I needed were in stock.  Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds