Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > Remembering the East Bay Model Engineers Society in Emeryville.

Date: 03/25/17 11:37
Remembering the East Bay Model Engineers Society in Emeryville.
Author: KeyRouteKen

Just wanted to run a couple of photos to remember a FUN place to be !
How many of you can remember one-half of a Caboose that jutted out from an old tin warehouse on Halleck Street in Emeryville ??
Inside the doorway, you were greeted by a LARGE SIGN  .........

Photo 1.    The LARGE SIGN ....

Photo 2.    The big O-gauge layout near the main entrance !    The mainline is the Santa Fe Western.
    The Trolley lines were part of the Oakland Antioch & Eastern.    By golly, that young Motorman in the Engineer's Cap operating Sacramento Northern interurbans is none other than Ken Shattock  (KRK)  ...   How 'bout that ?  This was a LONG time ago !  About 48-years...

Photo 3.   Suzie Shattock (future Mrs. KRK) sitting at the control board for "Oakland Yard" on the OA&E trolley layout.  Suzie can say she has been to the old layout on Halleck.  Her grandfather worked on the Milwaukee Road as well as the SOO Line.  Her father was born in a Depot.
We've been together now over forty-three years !!  (Yes, she likes TRAINS !)  (grin)

Enjoy  (and Remember)..

KRK

Date: 03/25/17 11:47
Re: Remembering the East Bay Model Engineers Society in Emeryvil
Author: SPDRGWfan

Cool photo's.  Looks like California - I visited a MR club in Sacramento back in 1978 (about 39 years ago!) when I was a student at CSUS (Sac State).  I would have thought with a name like KeyRouteKen you are a Pennsylvania RR fan being it ran through the Keystone state?  I've been stranded in other parts of the country but I grew up mostly in Calfornia so western, especially SP has been my long time favorites.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/25/17 11:57
Author: drumwrencher

I remember that place, Ken. Didn't it all end because the Santa Fe (or SP?) wanted the building back?  Another rumor I heard thru the years is the mountains (hills?) were made of concrete - any truth to that?

Thanks for yet another great memory, KRK!

Walter

Date: 03/25/17 12:00
Author: photobob

Ken my Dad would take me over to the club on weekends. I can remember walking through the caboose entrance and coming up to the O Gauge layout. I was just a short guy so everything seemed enormous. The HO scale layout was my favorite but the O scale interurban came in a close second. I can remember SP steam trains passing by on the backside of the building and the ground shacking. Great memories.

Date: 03/26/17 09:36
Author: WP282

I remember many times when my mother would drop me off on a Saturday and I would spend the whole day there. Eventually I became a junior member, from 1976 until 1980. I have fond memories of the place.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/30/17 11:55
Author: ShastaDaylight

These are great Ken, thanks for sharing! I only got to visit this wonderful layout a couple of times, and that was in 1983. I enjoyed each time I was there!

Thanks again!

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds