Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > Bradford Exchange rolling stock

Date: 03/26/17 07:40
Bradford Exchange rolling stock
Author: VunderBob

A friend has given me a dozen or so pieces of rolling stock from The Bradford Exchange.

All are in original packaging, most are still sealed, and the "certificates" are still there. Because of this, the friend thought they were of some value. I kept my mouth shut, because I do not have much of an opinion regarding the collectibles companies like BE or the Franklin Mint.

That said, I opened two that were cut, and they were the same depressed center flatcar with load. Buckeye trucks, knuckle couplers, but no lettering. Am I remembering correctly that Bradford Exchange cars are actually higher end Bachman stock? If there truly is no extra value to these cars, I'm tempted to open them all up, apply appropriate lettering, and run them with the rest of my stock. Certainly, one of those flats will be lettered and run because I have transformer loads planned for my operating sessions.  Whatever their true value, I will be keeping them because of who gave them to me.

Opinions and guidance?

Date: 03/26/17 09:04
Re: Bradford Exchange rolling stock
Author: Streamliner

This is just my opinion:  I feel that pretty much ANYTHING that was produced to be a "limited edition collectible," isn't valuable as such, and few, if any ever will be.  If it comes with a "Certificate of Authenticity," it's even less so.

Take Lionel trains, produced before 1970 for example.  What makes so many of them valuable, is that they were produced as toys for children and the vast majority were enjoyed and played with to death.  Finding one so many years later in pristine condition is a rare thing.  On the other hand, the vast majority of the better Lionel trains produced after 1970, were squirreled away by collectors and most still sit mint/boxed in closets and basements, depreciating in value.

If your Bradford Exchange models appeal to you, do the following:
1.  Toss the certificates.
2.  Use them, run them, kitbash them and enjoy them.

Just my two cents worth,

Allen Drucker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 15:32 by Streamliner.

Date: 03/26/17 09:31
Author: VunderBob

Pretty much what I thought.

I just went through and looked in all of the boxes. There is an On30 steam engine and combine, several HO depressed center flats with tacky 'commemorative' loads, power pack, and EZ-track to make an oval with passing siding. I did take one of the flats and removed the attached billboard; that one will get a proper paint/decal/weather job and be put in service hauling transformers, but the rest will stay in their boxes for now. Mostly because I need 1 depressed center flat, not 6.

I have no idea what the monthly subscription cost is (probably $50-60) for that set, but the same flat in the current Walthers catalog is $27. I have no plans on telling the friend she was played...

Date: 03/26/17 09:39
Author: PHall

Yet there are "some" people who collect this stuff. So it's not worthless. But it won't pay your kid's college tuition either!

Date: 03/26/17 11:25
Author: tq-07fan

Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it, if you can find that person.

Otherwise kitbash them, paint 'em up and have some fun.

At least in N scale some of my better Bachmann cars are seriously good runners and look decent too.

Jim

Date: 03/26/17 20:00
Author: railwaybaron

> If your Bradford Exchange models appeal to you, do
> the following:
> 1.  Toss the certificates.
> 2.  Use them, run them, kitbash them and enjoy
> them.
>
> Just my two cents worth,
>
> Allen Drucker

BTW what is to become of your "large scale" LAUPT model now that Samy's is pulling the pin? 
>  

Date: 03/26/17 20:45
Author: Streamliner

Well, he bought it from me, so he owns it and MUST remove it when he leaves.  It won't fit through the door or window openings and was not made to be taken apart.  So, if I had to take a guess, I'd say he might give it to anyone willing to cut it up and haul it out of there, but that is only a guess on my part and my track record of reading his mind is quite dismal, to say the least.

P.S.  Rereading your post, I thought you were asking about the large scale layout in the old Allied Model Trains building, but I now see you are referring to the building itself.  It is up for lease and right now, I have no idea who will go in there.  Being so close to Sony Studios and Playa Vista, it may become a high tech or entertainment office.  It could become a medical facility or it may remain retail.  Only time will tell.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 07:59 by Streamliner.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds