Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Model Railroading > Need HO Structure Kit Recommendations

Date: 03/26/17 11:58
Need HO Structure Kit Recommendations
Author: philhoov

I need some input on the quality/difficulty to build for HO building kits.
I've built several Walthers Cornerstone plastic kits and generally like them, but after awhile they all seem to look alike, even after repainting some and weathering all of the ones I've built.
And, I've ventured into scratch-building three buildings (two with basswood and one with balsa) and learned much, but lack the skills to create more than basic structures.
I'm wondering about the quality and level of difficulty with some of the more advanced/detailed kits like Campbell, Bar Mills, Woodland Scenics DPM Gold, Downtown Deco, Blair, etc.
I would describe my skills as reasonably good.
I lack the skills and patience to tackle something that would take weeks or months to build.
But, I'm definitely not looking for glossy snap-together plastic kits lacking in details.
From what I've seen in the Walthers catalog and various websites, many of the more advanced kits are laser-cut basswood and I'm wondering how you assemble those.
Also wondering if painting and decaling are required.
Thanks in advance.
Phil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 12:00 by philhoov.

Date: 03/26/17 12:11
Re: Need HO Structure Kit Recommendations
Author: Jeff_Johnston

It sounds as if kitbashing might be your next logical step. You sound comfortable with plastic kits such as the Cornerstone series, and those kits are fantastic sources of kitbash material. Art Curren did a terrific Kalmbach book on kitbashing that should still be available from Walthers or Kalmbach. I view those kits as resources for kitbashing and seldom use them as-is for exactly the reason you suggest, to avoid them all looking alike or to fit them better into the spaces I have available. Give kitbashing a try, it's terrific fun!

The unfortunately small-size photo attached is a lumber mill kitbashed from the Walthers Cornerstone mill complex kits. I modified them to fit a long, narrow space instead of the rectangular spaces as designed for the kits from the factory.

Jeff Johnston
www.trainvideosandparts.com 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 12:48 by Jeff_Johnston.

Date: 03/26/17 12:23
Author: Lighter

> I'm wondering about the quality and level of
> difficulty with some of the more advanced/detailed
> kits like Campbell, Bar Mills, Woodland Scenics
> DPM Gold, Downtown Deco, Blair, etc.

They are all solid and all come with useful instructions.  Probably not as detailed as your Walthers builds.  Campbell, Mills and Blair are mostly word with card, metal and plastic parts.  DPM gold are plastic and lots of other materials.  Lots of detail stuff to spread around or use to up the level of other buildings.  Downtown Deco are plaster with wood, plastic, card, metal parts as needed. Paint is make or break with these.

> I lack the skills and patience to tackle something
> that would take weeks or months to build.

Most of these will take more time than the Walthers.  But the work has enough variety to keep up momentum. 
I have a Sheepscot kit that I've been working on for twenty years.  Maybe half done.  This is a case of construction tedium so I spend only one month a year on it!

> are laser-cut basswood and I'm wondering how you
> assemble those. 

Knife, clamps and good quality wood glue.  Laser cutting has made life much more pleasant then back in the days of cutting parts out of sheet stock.

> Also wondering if painting and decaling are
> required.

Yes.  And staining and other finishes. 

Campbell kits have been around since the middle of the last century.  They had the best plans, instructions and parts in the business.  (Back then) I don't know how all that holds up now days.  But if I wanted to step back in time and didn't have a specific need that's the brand I'd choose.  Back in the day EVERY layout had a Campbell Howe Truss Bridge, water tower and school house!  I've built the other brands except Deco and they are all good.

Date: 03/26/17 12:59
Author: Stottman

The laser wood kits I have built were actually easier then building a plastic kit. Everything fit perfectly, and stuff like windows, etc were peel and stick. The only "hard" part was making sure to NOT use water based paint on the wood. I found that essentially staining the wood with colored ink pens worked best for me. 

Campbell kits, I have not assembled. But from looking at the kits that I have purchases, you are essentially scratch building except Campbell gives you all the materials and great plans. 

Date: 03/26/17 14:06
Author: wjpyper

Personally I prefer scratch building, but if you want kits, I suggest http://www.monstermodelworks.com

Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 14:07 by wjpyper.

Date: 03/26/17 14:35
Author: icancmp193

I am finally getting a small shelf layout going (it's only been 50 years or so) and have recently built some structures, including this Blair Line model (Fred & Red's). It was fun to put together and I'm ready to tackle a harder one (Farmer's & Fertilizer Supply). Also built a Walthers background kit (Centennial Mills). Lots of painting and weathering work to lose that plastic look. Have an American Model Builders depot to tackle, knocked out a GC Laser yard shack, and doing a Rix grain bin too. The laser kits are less work than say, a Campbell, but still provide something a little different for your model railroad. I have reasonably good skills too but can't cut anything square, even with the help of various devices!

Tom Y.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 14:38 by icancmp193.

Date: 03/26/17 22:21
Author: Cupolau

Evergreen Hill Models makes some nice kits but they're not cheap. One thing I look for when purchasing  a kit is whether they include the detail parts. If you plan on tackling scratch building invest in The Chopper from Northwest Shortline. It'll come in handy when cutting duplicate copies of either wood or plastic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds