Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Model Railroading > Leveling a bolster.

Date: 03/28/17 11:25
Leveling a bolster.
Author: lizzard45

I have a flat car that lists to the right...both bolster need a bit of leveling...How would you do it?
You can see that it leans, as the axles are stright. I'm thinking it's the bolsters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/17 11:33 by lizzard45.

Date: 03/28/17 11:33
Re: Leveling a bolster.
Author: ESPEE5318

I have done many of them on a mill, but for most that is not an option so a file and a good eye also gets it done, could also be that the frame is twisted etc........

Date: 03/28/17 11:41

I don't think the frame is twisted..but I may have to do some filing. Thanks for your in-put.

ESPEE5318 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have done many of them on a mill, but for most
> that is not an option so a file and a good eye
> also gets it done, could also be that the frame is
> twisted etc........

Date: 03/28/17 13:54
Author: boejoe

If all else fails, consider an unusual load with weight offset to the side that needs leveling.

Date: 03/28/17 15:20
Author: LarryDoyle

Are the holes for the centerpins out of tram?

-John

Date: 03/28/17 15:29
Author: TCnR

That's more than just bolsters not being flat. Agree with above, the truck screw may not be in straight. Or the something really haywire with the assembly of the frame/weight/car body.

If the screw hole is not vertical the screw head will not be level, probably bad enough to see by visual inspection. Could be that the material holding the screw has cracked, also something that can be seen.

Date: 03/28/17 16:13
Author: rschonfelder

I also note that you have a bowed deck.  Is this a first run P2k 53' flatcar?  The weight inserted was often proud and caused the deck to bow if the sides were glued down.  Just one production screw up which was not a common issue with P2k in general.

Rick

Date: 03/28/17 21:15

It's a TYCO flat, I haven't put the deck on firmly.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/29/17 10:00
Author: spsunset

The level doesn't look centered,more weight on the left.Truck is not straight either .
Perhaps screw the bolster down ,straighten the truck and see what's what.

sp

Date: 03/29/17 11:44

Drilled out the bolsters, added new styrene...will let that set up of a week or so, then try it again.
Thanks for all the comments.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds