Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Model Railroading > New Atlas GP7's

Date: 03/28/17 20:26
New Atlas GP7's
Author: Bleman

Has anyone received the new Atlas Classic GP7's mine arrived minus fuel tanks, anyone have similar problem ??

Date: 03/28/17 21:42
Re: New Atlas GP7's
Author: emd_mrs1

Some railroads used a small rectangular fuel tank to save on weight. I think atlas has done this option on their models.

I do not recall which has the smaller tank.

Michael

Date: 03/29/17 06:24
Author: icancmp193

Well the prototypes for the series of Erie-Lackawanna Geeps they did (which were ex-Erie units) had very small tanks and didn't stray too far from their home bases in freight service.

Tom Y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/17 11:06 by icancmp193.

Date: 03/29/17 09:41
Author: grahamline

Atlas's web site says the undecs are shipped with both an 800 and 1200 gallon fuel tanks. The 800 is pretty inconspicuous on an assembled model.

Date: 03/29/17 10:20
Author: SPDRGWfan

IIRC, D&RGW's first four GP7's came with small tanks.  In the photo's you can see a substantial gap between the side skirt and the tank underneath.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/29/17 11:26
Author: Bleman

I purchased the TH&B ones , didn't due my research they had the small ones, their 9's had big ones..

Date: 03/30/17 20:55
Author: wabash2800

These have always been nice units especially with the upgrades, but why does Atlas include those big lugs where the handrails meet the steps? I just can't understand why Atlas would do something like that with the rest of the loco looking very good. It would seem they would have eliminated that with the upgrades. Athearn Genesis Geeps don't have that feature do they?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 04/01/17 05:39
Author: DavidMKetchum

I have a new Atlas GP 7 in DRGW and I noticed that it has a very small fuel tank!  The instruction sheet shows a "larger" tank that appears to snap over the existing tank.  As soon as I get it back from the DCC tech, I plan to find out of that option is available from Atlas.

Date: 04/01/17 07:47
Author: SPDRGWfan

DavidMKetchum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a new Atlas GP 7 in DRGW and I noticed that
> it has a very small fuel tank!  The instruction
> sheet shows a "larger" tank that appears to snap
> over the existing tank.  As soon as I get it back
> from the DCC tech, I plan to find out of that
> option is available from Atlas.

Before you replace that Atlas GP7 fuel tank, I suggest you do a little research.  I was looking in my Rio Grande Diesels Vol 2 by Joseph Strapac and the fuel tanks is recessed well inside the side skirt and appears to be the smaller tank.  IIRC, the Atlas GP7 best matches the first four ordered by D&RGW #5100-5103 which all four look like they came with the smaller tank.  Replacing the tank may not be necessary of you want the engine to match the prototype.  I model 1970's so these as-delivered GP7's are pretty much correct for around 1950-1051.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/17 07:56 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 04/01/17 19:26
Author: wabash2800

Jim is correct. Many Class Ones had both versions of the fuel tanks. NYC, PRR? and Wabash are just a few that I know. I'm sure there were many more. I'm told the smaller tank was actually standard on the GP7.

​Apparently the Atlas fuel tanks are interchangeable if you can get the part, as the undec unit includes both fuel tanks.

I had someone machine the frame of an older version of the Atlas GP7 to get the smaller fuel tank. My machinist is one of the best, but the air tanks and fuel tank were cast in once piece. Even if I would have had him machine off the air tanks too, there was a limit how much could be machined off without compromising the mounting screws in the bottom of the frame.

​With Atlas offering both tanks with their new units, that's a blessing IMO. I just bought a TH&B with the smaller fuel tank and I'm going to strip the paint and do a Wabash freight version with the smaller fuel tank. I also bought a Rock Island with the larger fuel tank and I'm going to strip and make that a Wabash dual passenger/freight service unit to simuate the water tanks outside the inner fuel tank. These are both Gold Line units with Loksound decoders. I will have to add the Mars lights (and move the standard headlight below it) and remove those ugly stantion lugs on the steps. But I should have enough extra functions to add truck lights with number board lights on the same functon along with some (not all) class lights and the front, rear and mars light. 

​Sure, Atheran Genesis has come out with Wabash GP9s with Mars lights, but I model a period before the GP9s came on board. I also prefer the Loksound decoder as it offers more options and IMO has better sound. (The Genesis units are using Soundtax components, yes? ) Hopefully, the speaker included with the Atlas units is a good fit. Perhaps they are out there, but I could not find an Undec Atlas GP7 in the Gold Line discounted like the two painted versions I purchased.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/17 19:44 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds