Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Model Railroading > Kadee #5 replacement with what whisker coupler?

Date: 03/29/17 11:34
Kadee #5 replacement with what whisker coupler?
Author: nygiant

What is the Kadee number coupler to replace the older KD#5 coupler? Thanks in advance.

Date: 03/29/17 11:41
Re: Kadee #5 replacement with what whisker coupler?
Author: SPDRGWfan

Those are KD #148 - same head as #5 but with whisker shank instead of the bronze spring.  They don't come with draft gear boxes either but also come in bulk packs of 25 pairs  (#10) and 50 pairs (#140).

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/29/17 13:23
Author: grahamline

You can buy the Kadee #148 with an included #242 snap-together draft gear box, if you need one. Much easier to assemble than the previous "three-hands" design.
https://kadee.com/htmbord/page148.htm

Date: 03/30/17 08:12
Author: BAB

How true and the whisker ones are much better than the old spring kind but trying to assemble that box which was not snap together was not fun. Went over to there factory and got with Sam about that he showed me the snap one.

Date: 03/30/17 08:40
Author: SPDRGWfan

I've found the old KD#5 boxes can be secured as a complete piece with the bronze spring and coupler inside by taking a solvent glue like Tenax7R or equivelent and lightly bushing it along the seam while holding the box together.  Then the box will stay glued as a unit and you can mount it with the two outboard scew mounts or a single in the middle or even glue it on (like I did recently on an HO Centralia Shops UP caboose.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/30/17 09:18
Author: fbe

I agree with Jim about lightly glueing the #5 box but Tenex adhesive is gone from the market. Tamiya super thin cement is a great replacement. You only need a small amount of the liquid cement so if you need to open them a screw driver in the open end will do that. The new snap together boxes are wonderful though I will spot glue them on locomotive applications as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds