Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Traction Modelers

Date: 01/05/02 19:08
Traction Modelers
Author: Russ

I'm interested in exchanging info on detail parts, kits, etc. with HO scale traction modelers. I'm working on a couple of Cannonball Car Shops GE 40 ton steeple cab units and would really like to locate a source for good, detailed pantographs and other traction parts. The pan in the photo is a Sommerfelt and although the size is correct, it lacks the fine appearance that I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Date: 01/05/02 22:49
RE: Traction Modelers
Author: SandingValve

How did you like the use of Bachmann 44 ton power trucks for this model? Was the conversion from 'vertical' to 'horizontal' easy? Is there much room left for additional weight or a DCC decoder?

I have been looking into these kits for a friend of mine who models the Sacramento Northern which used units similiar to the Cannonball Car Shop kits. Here's a pic of the protoype.

SandingValve

Date: 01/05/02 22:54
Author: SandingValve

The SN units I think are actually a little larger (50 or 65 ton) than the CCS model (40 ton). Notice that SN 430 uses a pantograph AND a trolley pole. Getting all that atop the small roof would be a challenge!

SandingValve

Date: 01/06/02 02:02
Author: Hiroshi

The model you have shown was also introduced by Japanese Hobby Mag. and to detail-up some Japanese HO scale(16-ban scale) parts were used. Some of those were once exported to the U.S. as far as I knew.

Precision Scale Co. did carry HO scale pantographs from Katsumi. It was Japanese National Railway type PS-16 which is very close to what you have on the roof.

For your drive power of the unit, how about Tenshodo's Self-power drive unit(whose wheelbase of 24.5mm) which was once carried by some importer in the U.S. I could not recall the name.

Hope this helps.

Hiroshi

Date: 01/06/02 06:43
Author: Russ

God Morning, All...
Well, SandingValve, it went well. The photo instructions had to be downloaded from rgspemkt.com, John from Laser Kit's personal website. I found that I made a few dumb moves, but it really really works. There's room in upper 1/2 of the cab for weight & DCC. I'm going to have to add weight once it's finished, but my layout isn't going to be DCC. I bought two complete kits and Spectrum 44 tonner diesels off of eBay for about 25.00 each. I want my units to have their own look, but I have referenced Sacramento Northern and my copy of Middleton's 'Traction Classics Volumne 3' for ideas and technical reality. The SN unit in your posting photo is a bit heavier, about 55-60 ton and a bit longer, too. I'm working now on a roof platform for the pantograph (per your photo) in order to achieve a prototypical height and the recommended NMRA height as well. I need to follow up on Hiroshi's suggestion about pantographs by Precision Scale. If you need a more detailed description of where I went wrong while making the power truck modifications, let me know. There are some tricky spots. My best to you all, Happy Modeling, and remember: 'Ship It Electrically!'
Russ

Date: 01/06/02 07:00
RE: Pantagraphs
Author: pjb

Go to any or all of following web sites and check through links. They all can be found with Google or similar comprehensive search engine. Beka-Modellbau; Hodl Linie 8;Profi Modell Thyrow; Navemo. They are also available from any of the major producers of model train equipment as: Roco;Bemo;Trix;Kleinbahn; and any of the several companies controlled by Rivarossi or Bachmann.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds