Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas U33C to U30C conversion

Date: 01/09/02 06:44
Atlas U33C to U30C conversion
Author: kwo

I have the spare HO parts from Atlas to convert a U33C to a U30C using the radiator section of a U23B. I would really appreciate any information or advice that anyone has from doing a similar conversion. The plan is to cut off the top of the radiator section on both bodies and fit the narrow section from the U23B onto the U33 shell. Is that the correct approach? This is my first attempt at actually cutting and fitting body parts so any help would be greatly appreciated {and much needed!}.
Thanks very much.

Date: 01/09/02 08:30
RE: Atlas U33C to U30C conversion
Author: trainart

Someone actually has done this sort of thing, if I remember right, just recently and posted pictures of it here. I think it was in N scale but it shows where all the modifications go. If you look back a page or two I am sure you will find it. I could be wrong it might have been an article I read but I am pretty sure it is a thread here. I will look for it as well.

Date: 01/09/02 16:08
Author: conrail1

Actually I think you would end up with a U23C. This was a real GE locomotive that was only bought by a few railroads (such as Penn Central).

Without looking at any plans I don't think that the radiator section of the U23B is the same as the U30C.

Date: 01/09/02 16:43
Author: CNW

Here's a crude shot of my Atlas U33C to U30C conversion. I used the hood sides from a wide body Athearn U30C shell, and grafted them into the Atlas shell. The cab is a Hi Tech kit. Some other changes were made in the cab sub-base area too.

Date: 01/09/02 22:48
Author: csxt4617

conrail1 wrote:
>
> Actually I think you would end up with a U23C. This was a real
> GE locomotive that was only bought by a few railroads (such as
> Penn Central).
>
> Without looking at any plans I don't think that the radiator
> section of the U23B is the same as the U30C.
The radiator section should be the same. It's the doors over the
engineroom that are different between the U23 and U30. If you wanted
to make a U23C, you'd have to splice the whole longhood of the U23B
to the U33C(I'm not sure where you'd cut though, probably right
behind the intake on the U33C behind the cab.) As far as I know, you
can just splice the whole radiator section from the U23B to the U33C
hood. That's what I plan on doing (got all the parts, just need to
actually do it ;^)

Date: 01/10/02 08:12
Author: kwo

Thanks very much for all the input. Your unit looks great CNW, hope mine comes out as well. My unit will be for my private road so I don't have a specific prototype to match. Time now to just get up the nerve to make that first cut........

KWO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds