Home Open Account Help 142 users online

Model Railroading > CSX RC unit

Date: 08/07/03 17:24
CSX RC unit
Author: CSXSD70AC

Here is a pic of my Latest CSX unit fresh from the shop. A extra detailed Athearn SD40-2 with a twist. Has anyone out ther modeled one of these yet?

TIA

JRF

Date: 08/07/03 17:47
Re: CSX RC unit
Author: doctorevil

Wow...at first I couldn\'t even tell it was an Athearn...nice work!

Doctor Evil
- Justin

"I didn\'t go to evil medical school for six years to be called mister thank you very much..."

Date: 08/07/03 18:03
Author: BNSF_9965

CSXSD70AC wrote:

"Has anyone out there modeled one of these yet?"

I am working on two BNSF RCL\'s right now, a GP38-2 and a SD40-2.

Marshall Starks
San Diego, Ca.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalrails

Date: 08/07/03 18:20
Author: SD40-2

Wow, first we have to worry about losing our job in real life. Now we are going to be layed off from the operating session too!

It looks just as ugly as the real ones. And I mean that as a compliment. Did you plant a bunch of guys around your yard wearing little green boxes?

SD

Date: 08/07/03 18:47

I guess reality intrudes into our modeling, I will have to get a ground operator to go with it I suppose. Prototype info on this unit. A month ago it was working the hump in Cumberland,MD but as a regular unit, not an RCL. I modeled it from pics.

Thanks guys!

JRF

Date: 08/07/03 19:48
Author: shortlineer

The basement is the only place that Remote controls belong. OTOH, I do find the CANAC system easier to operate than my DCC System...

Date: 08/08/03 04:18
Author: robby

Nice work!

I do have a question concerning the handrails. Are these new plastic ones Athearn has started using? I got sick of the oversized rails on two of my Kato SD40\'s last night and spent the evening installing Smokey Valley kits. The HR\'s on your model look pretty good. Just wondering if Athearn sales these as spare parts? I hate painting plastic but the metal ones are a bear to install correctly.

Again, nice work,
Robby

Date: 08/08/03 06:14

Robby,

Thanks for the compliment! They are the new plastic handrails. They are for sale separetly and come molded in many colors to match the diesel colors. I have purchased some extra CSX grey ones for future use on custom CSX SD40-2 units. I have some black ones left over if you need any, just email me.

TIA,

JRF

Date: 08/08/03 06:38
Author: SD40-2

I\'m not sure but I don\'t think the Athearn Handrails fit the Kato SD 40-2. I believe the stantions are spaced slightly different.

SD

Date: 08/10/03 14:51
Author: chickendelight

Put some banged up box cars near it,And the idiot sitting in the engineer\'s chair with the box in his lap!!

Date: 08/11/03 09:55
Author: robby

Thanks for the info on the handrails. As much as I hate the Kato units and as fickle the Smokey Valley parts are, I could almost justify filling in the holes and drilling new ones to match the Athearn parts. May give one a try and see what happens............

Robby

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds