Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Model Railroading > Layout Helper - Cup holders, etc...

Date: 10/13/03 18:44
Layout Helper - Cup holders, etc...
Author: ten87

What are the kinds of things that make a layout more convenient? I'm talking about cup holders every four feet so sodas aren't set down on the layout. What else? Plug ins for the throttles is obvious. Please share your ideas... Ed

Date: 10/13/03 19:56
Re: Layout Helper - Cup holders, etc...
Author: mgsrwy

What are the kinds of things that make a layout more convenient? I'm talking about cup holders every four feet so sodas aren't set down on the layout. What else? Plug ins for the throttles is obvious. Please share your ideas... Ed
==============================================================

1) Velcro on the fascia to hang your throttle

2) A place to sort car cards or write on your switchlist (which
ever you use-if any)

3) A carpenters apron to hold pens,pencils,couplers picks,car
cards,etc

4) Adequate car card boxes for each town/switching location

5) See the October 2003 issue of Model Railroader for Lionel
Strang's article on building a combination pen and coupler
pick holder

6) A central location for hanging throttles or radios that is
away from the layout

7) How about a crew lounge away from the layout so folks will
keep to a minimum from distracting crews at work?

What else have I missed?

mgsrwy

Date: 10/13/03 20:03
Author: slugbug

I have a little camping toilet in the trainroom that folks can use when they're at the far end of the railroad (it is 140 X 60' dimension) from the bathroom. It's proved to be a lifesaver several times, especially one evening after our yearly Chili Cookoff night for our operators. I think there was a problem with too much cilantro or something. . .

Date: 10/13/03 20:16
Author: ten87

slugbug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a little camping toilet in the trainroom
> that folks can use when they're at the far end of
> the railroad (it is 140 X 60' dimension) from the
> bathroom. It's proved to be a lifesaver several
> times, especially one evening after our yearly
> Chili Cookoff night for our operators. I think
> there was a problem with too much cilantro or
> something. . .

I think I'd rather walk the fifty yards to the flush model... Ed

Date: 10/13/03 22:48
Author: Tomcarter

Forget that, I'd make the offender dump that camp toilet himself!

Personally, I've found shelves under the layout to set drinks down (I have cup holders too, but they don't hold long neck beer bottles very well) as well as set out the occasional bad order car. I also use bent pieces of coat hanger bolted to the fascia to hang throttles.

Date: 10/14/03 07:43
Author: sajay

One of the best things I ever added to my layout were "leaning shelves" to keep arms off the scenery. These started out as simple narrow shelves that incorporate cup holders and grooves to hold pencils and un-coupling devices, etc.. The side effect is that people now lean on the shelf rather than the scenery!

Scott

Date: 10/14/03 07:53
Author: stivmac

Cup holders are nice, but what I want are several beer taps! At least a fridge! Better yet, one of those vacuum tube delivery systems like in home depot. Saw Monster House a few weeks ago and they installed one that delivered beer to the easy-boy! Imagine the call to Central Dispatch :"WOMAN. gimme a BEER! STAT!" Yeah, THAT would work in my house. She'd send the beer, right between the eyes! Seriously (?) I just acquired a neat item, a cheap, small roll away tool box. Put all the oft used modeling stuff in it, including needed repair stuff. I can use the lid as a work surface and roll it to the area needing attention. I like velcro for throttles. I've snagged myself too many times on hooks! The down side of velcro is the cheap glue that fades when the weather gets hot.

Date: 10/14/03 08:00
Author: atsfman

Actually I omit the cup holders along the railroad. I don't allow beverages around the railroad (even my own) because I have had one spill too many on the scenery and track. The crew lounge is nearby, and that is where the crews go when they are not actually operating. There is found the refreshments.

Maybe I just have a sloppy crew.

Bob

Date: 10/14/03 08:53
Author: docjones

RE: slugbug's post about the porta-potty.
You'll also want to think about hanging a bunch of those little pine tree deodorizers from the ceiling of the layout room.
Have fun, be safe and aim true
Doc Jones

Date: 10/14/03 09:40
Author: NarrowGauge

docjones Wrote:
> You'll also want to think about hanging a bunch
> of those little pine tree deodorizers from the
> ceiling of the layout room.

Years ago there was a company that advertised in MR. Their product was something like "RR Smells" you could get almost any "flavor" in a bottle: city, country, farm, pine, smokestack etc. Their best was "Creosote".
Haven't seen them advertising in years; that would be a nice addition to a layout room.
Narrowgauge

Date: 10/14/03 10:16

RE Slugbugs portapotty--MAN I hope you don't model NS! According to rails who work for them, they don't even supply the baggies for the crews! THAT would be carrying prototypical correctness a BIT too far!

Date: 10/14/03 13:40
Author: toulyardgoat

At the Monterey & Salinas Valley Railroad..we have a dispatch "perch" that overlooks the entire layout.

We also have a central electronics area, with individual voltage/ampage for each power section.

Also from the back side of the layout, we put old sets of drawers and tool boxes on rollers for easy access to tools for emergency fix-its,(i.e. solder guns,cordless dremels,picks,screw drvers etc.)

Forget the cup holders..your still asking for a accident. Drinks and DCC don't mix!

Date: 10/14/03 14:26
Author: coaldrag

I use them mouse holders that are designed to put on the side of your monitor for throttles. If you can't find them at best buy, loy's toys has them.

Date: 10/14/03 17:26
Author: docjones

Here's a suggestion: Make some sort of shoulder strap or harness for walk-around throttles like the prototype remote control units crewmembers use on the ground to control RC lomotives. You would then have your hands free for other tasks like taking your drink out of the cup holder and drinking it.
Have fun, be safe
Doc Jones

Date: 10/15/03 07:47
Drink up!

The best weathering on my layout has been done by spilled Coke!

Date: 10/15/03 08:12
Re: Drink up!
Author: atsfman

stivmac Wrote:
> The best weathering on my layout has been done by
> spilled Coke!

I hope you never have it spilled on a track switch.
Bob

Date: 10/15/03 09:15
Re: Drink up!

Of COURSE! Spills ALWAYS find their way to the most critical part of any layout. What REALLY bugs me is when the 1/87th scale EPA truck rolls up and declares a hazmat emergency! I had one part of a layout that was declared a Superfund Site! That's when I decided to model the 1950's. Them crop dusters are spraying DDT and the brake shoes are asbestos and no body cares!

Date: 10/17/03 01:49
Author: VunderBob

NarrowGauge Wrote:
> docjones Wrote:
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You'll also want to think about hanging a
> bunch
> > of those little pine tree deodorizers from
> the
> > ceiling of the layout room.
>
> Years ago there was a company that advertised in
> MR. Their product was something like "RR Smells"
> you could get almost any "flavor" in a bottle:
> city, country, farm, pine, smokestack etc. Their
> best was "Creosote".
> Haven't seen them advertising in years; that
> would be a nice addition to a layout room.
> Narrowgauge
>

I always wanted the "Fish Cannery" scent for my model house of
ill repute...

VunderBob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds