Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Model Railroading > can you ID this loco?

Date: 06/03/04 18:44
can you ID this loco?
Author: BessemerLakeErie

Can you tell me what kind of F unit this is and about the paint scheme?

Date: 06/03/04 19:06
Re: can you ID this loco?
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Same answer as other posting.

Date: 06/03/04 19:11
Author: rdg484

Santa Fe had a few former passenger F's that later went into freight service. They are easily identifiable by their 2 headlight castings, where other ATSF freight F's only had one.

Date: 06/04/04 06:23
Author: NSTopHat

To actually answer your question....

The passenger F7's, which it is, were delivered in the traditional red & silver scheme. Over time there were a couple of paint variations that were made, this being one of them, the other being the yellow & silver scheme. According to Cinthia Preist's 1st Santa Fe Diesels book, this scheme appears to be used on units that were used in dual service, both freight and passenger. The yellow scheme denoted Amtrak pool service. Note that there are variations on both schemes and no appearant roster of which units were painted in which scheme. This unit does not appear in the book in any scheme.

Hope this helps....

NSTopHat

Date: 06/04/04 11:21
Author: rdsexton

To carry the Santa Fe loco ID question a little further, how about the lights? As noted, passenger Fs had the dual light package but how were these lights configured? The Athearn (don't go starting anything here...) Genesis F3 has a three light setup. The top light has a clear and a red. The red is connected as the reverse light, argument being that it was used when the unit might be in push mode. The lower light has a clear and both clear lights are wired as headlight. But is that the correct operation? Did SF have Mars or Gyralites? If not, what was the point of the dual light configuration?

Any comments?

Date: 06/04/04 16:57
IS IT WORTH DOING?

I am just curios what kind of demand there would be for a model in this scheme. I am considering having a custom run done, but a curious as to demand.

Date: 06/04/04 17:55
Author: Lighter

rdsexton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Genesis F3 has a three light
> setup. The top light has a clear and a red. The
> red is connected as the reverse light, argument
> being that it was used when the unit might be in
> push mode.

Bogus. Both the top were emergency lights - I don't know if Mars or Gyra. White for crossings. Red for stopped and not clear. The headlights were in the low housing. If the locomotive nose was at the rear of a train, red markers would be hung if there weren't red lenses available in the class light housings.

Date: 06/06/04 08:50
Re: IS IT WORTH DOING?
Author: DRLOCO

I can't speak for me, but I seem to recall that someone like Highball/stewart already did engine's in the "bluebonnet" scheme. I remember them at the hobby shop, and I know they weren't Genesis.

DRLOCO--helping muddy the waters!

Date: 06/06/04 11:58
Re: IS IT WORTH DOING?

They weren't Stewart, that's who'd do them for me if I get them done.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds