Home Open Account Help 197 users online

Model Railroading > It's Official - Athearn RTR HO SD45T-2!!! (all the deta

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/09/04 13:41
It's Official - Athearn RTR HO SD45T-2!!! (all the deta
Author: espeeboy

Official word from the show room floor (aka the "Harry Wong Live!" report from "tracktime") at the Seattle NMRA show this morning is that this fine model is indeed a fully primed up grey Athearn pre-production HO SD45T-2 model! This specific 45T-2 version displayed at the Athearn table is a late model featuring the large front anticlimber and SP square jacking pads as per the last of the SSW Espee EMD order. Specifically this would cover SSW9371-9404 including the Bicentennial SSW9389! See Richard Percy's http://espee.railfan.net site for more info on this SD45T-2 order and the other Espee orders at: http://espee.railfan.net/sswsd45t-2.html

Other preproduction detail GOODIES include the SP "dogleg" front cab engineer window, full rooftop A/C and piping/conduit lines bent as per the 45T-2 prototype (see http://espee.railfan.net/picindex/sd45t-2_detail/45t_13.html), SEE THROUGH METAL ETCHED lower tunnel motor radiator grills, perfectly scaled/molded rooftop radiator grills (not see through but done exactly as per prototype), see through dymanic brake fans, semi-see-through dynamic brake grills (not all the way see through as per the incorrect P2K GP60), metal grabs everywhere including the "three-sided" bent rear radiator grill rooftop one, correctly scaled full SP noselight, molded crisp scale fuel tank with correct front and rear fuel fittings, see through steps (yes!), and all of the other detail standard on the RTR SD50 like molded walkway detail, scale semi-thinwall cab with sliding windows, plastic handrails, and unfortunately that same weird plastic front plow that doesn't fit ANY real world prototype RR plows out there. But with Details West parts and all of the other Athearn RTR goodies provided - who cares about that dumb plow!

BIG THANKS for Harry Wong taking the time to give me the full walkaround showroom report this morning. I am talking at least 45 minutes of his time to chat on the cell with me while wandering the floor. It really felt like I was there and I actually got to talk to a few of my model RR manufacturer buddies/reps and even a few of the known modelers present there in attendance. Talk about going to the show on a budget (meaning no $ spent sitting here at office desk). Can't wait for these 45T-2's to come to market!

Expect "tracktime" digital pics of this preproduction SD45T-2 model in the next few days...

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
stuck in the office on the ex-WP Oakland Sub MP11.2
(daydreaming about a planned superdetailed fleet of SP/SSW 45T-2's!!!)

Date: 07/09/04 13:50
6 posts down.
Author: TopcoatSmith

It's been "official" all morning:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,757148

TCS - actually since last week but "nobody" said anything ...

Date: 07/09/04 13:51
Re: It's Official - Athearn RTR HO SD45T-2!!! (all the
Author: RustedFlange

>>(daydreaming about a planned superdetailed fleet of SP/SSW 45T-2's!!!)

Aren't we all. I think I will celebrate by having a drink tomorrow (understatement).

Date: 07/09/04 13:52
Author: csxt4617

Wow, sounds nice. I don't model SP, but if they are as nice as you
describe them, I may have to pick one up anyway :)
Also can't wait for an upgraded SD45-2. I've got a couple of the RPP
shells I haven't finished yet (among my stack of unfinished projects ;^)
and would much rather have a much nicer upgraded RTR version.

Date: 07/09/04 13:53
Author: atsf5704

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 45T-2 version displayed at the Athearn table is a
> late model featuring the large front anticlimber
> and SP square jacking pads as per the last of the
> SSW Espee EMD order.

Ryan, Hatty, et al. - Thank Paul E (yes that one) for those details. The original model had only the small anitclimber and the standard jacking pads.

As for taking a bet against the SD40T-2 being reworked to match at least the SD40-2, I'll pass.

Date: 07/09/04 13:57
Re: 6 posts down.

well not quite official enough for my espee T-2 modeling blood. Details are all that matters in this hobby so an announcement without the details don't do nuthin' for me ;)

TopcoatSmith Wrote:
> It's been "official" all morning:
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,7
> 57148

Date: 07/09/04 14:01
Re: 6 posts down.
Author: atsf5704

Actually, earlier was all speculation and rumor even if some of it was "inside" information. There are a few people on this board that could have posted the same thing as the post below over a year ago.

Date: 07/09/04 14:23
Wait a sec .......
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I thought Horizon was the death knell for Athearn.

How dare they put money into R&D and turn out
a nice product! Now these will sell and increase
profits for Athearn and Horizon. Waaaaahhhh!

Date: 07/09/04 15:30
Re: Wait a sec .......
Author: Brunswick

You don't know they will sell.

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> I thought Horizon was the death knell for
> Athearn.
>
> How dare they put money into R&D and turn out
> a nice product! Now these will sell and increase
> profits for Athearn and Horizon. Waaaaahhhh!

Date: 07/09/04 16:00
Author: csxt4617

Brunswick Wrote:
> You don't know they will sell.

judging from the responses here so far, I'm sure they will.
I'm even thinking of buying one, and I don't even model SP.

>
> ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought Horizon was the death knell for
> > Athearn.
> >
> > How dare they put money into R&D and turn
> out
> > a nice product! Now these will sell and
> increase
> > profits for Athearn and Horizon.
> Waaaaahhhh!

Date: 07/09/04 16:08
Author: BrianM

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> Athearn.
>

I am sure this project was well under way before Horizon bought Athearn. I am keeping my hopes up for a nice unit. A CEFX SP painted SD45T-2 would not be bad. But I am more interested in the SD45-2's (Conrail). I hope they do a nice job.

Brian

Date: 07/09/04 16:09
Author: GLC

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
> Athearn.
>

Actually this model was started before Horizon bought Athearn so most of the money was already spent.

Date: 07/09/04 16:42
Author: Larry576

Brian,
You'll be spending some time in the workroom doing the EL/CR version. Athearn is not likely to produce a details specific version - meaning the 5000 gallon tank and the louvers will have to be kitbashed more likely than not. I see ATSF, BNSF, SCL, CRR, SBD, CSXT, HLCX and MRL as the primary runs.
Larry

Date: 07/09/04 16:45
Author: navarch1

This is great news to be sure. I'd certainly jump in for a number of them. I have only a few questions, none of which is a deal-killer for my buying it:

1. With the Athearn/UP tiff over licensing, if it remains unsettled can Athearn even produce SP/UP color schemes or will it be sold as undecorated only (save for non-UP names..)? I have to assume for this model, Athearn had to settle all the other UP issues to get permission on this one...

2. What about pilot details such as MU hoses, grabs, cut bars etc.? Were these on the model shown at the show? My hope would be that they would finally add those sorts of things.

3. Are they going to use decent headlight bulbs, in lieu of the current short life bulbs they have? That would be a small, but great improvement.

Bob Hill

Date: 07/09/04 16:46
Author: navarch1

One more..will this mean Intermountain's HO tunnel motors (assuming they actually planned to do it in HO) will be held back or killed off?

Bob Hill

Date: 07/09/04 17:18
Author: airbrake

Someone ask Harry to ask Athearn if they are going to do the earlier version of the 45T-2. I model in the '70 - '76 SP era and this version they are releasing will not do for my era. I wonder what the price will be. I'm betting at least $120.00 each street price - there will probably not be much of a (if any) discount on this model. Also tell Harry I received 2 bottles of Accu-Paint SP Scarlet this week. It's back in stock.

Date: 07/09/04 19:31
early phase SD45T-2's also!

Yup, the official report from the Athearn office is that early SD45T-2 with early anticlimbers (no anticlimber really), "T" shape jacking pads and minimal roof details will also be offered making up for the bulk phase of the Espee 45T-2's ordered in the early 70's. Really, I am gonna go broke on this release especially if the paint is up to the industry-standard that they have set on their previous SD50 releases and Genesis series line.

Date: 07/09/04 20:22
Author: tjohnson00

Bring em on. Patience really pays off doesn't it? I knew sooner or later Athearn would break down and update the Tunnel Motors. Especially beating Intermountain to the punch!

This is an Espee modelers dream come true.

Terry
Berkeley,CA.

Date: 07/09/04 20:35
Author: mayor79

tjohnson00 Wrote:
> This is an Espee modelers dream come true.

I dont model the Espee but I'll probably pick up a few. I always thought the tunnel motors had a cool look to them.

-Mike

Date: 07/10/04 06:43
Author: ts1457

.> 1. With the Athearn/UP tiff over licensing, if it
> remains unsettled can Athearn even produce SP/UP
> color schemes or will it be sold as undecorated
> only (save for non-UP names..)? I have to assume
> for this model, Athearn had to settle all the
> other UP issues to get permission on this one...
>
>
> Bob Hill

It's been discussed here in the past, but UP is taking Athearn to court to force them into compliance:

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/modelrail.shtml

Athearn seems to believe they have a case and continues to market unlicensed product for UP and predecessor roads.

I'm curious if anyone has any recent news on the legal proceedings.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1224 seconds