Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Comes to Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 09/28/13 11:05
Amtrak Comes to Gettysburg, Pa.
Author: aehouse

Regularly scheduled passenger service to Gettysburg ended in the 1940s, but that didn't prevent Amtrak from sending its display train to town for a two day stay beginning this morning.

Photo 1. Parked at the Gettysburg and Northern (former Reading Railway) depot, the rear car on the train is the former Union Pacific 10/6 sleeper Pacific Bend, a car I rode in revenue service four times, the most recent being on the eastbound Lake Shore Limited in 1996. Four of the ten roomettes remain for staff use, the rest converted to storage space and one to a shower. The double bedrooms have been removed and a crew lounge is in their place.

Photo 2. F40-PH No. 406, and Amtrak's commemorative veterans' P42 head the train. In the far background is the former Western Maryland station, which dates to the 1850s, and was the station used by President Lincoln when he came to Gettysburg in November 1863 for the dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetery, the occasion of his Gettysburg Address.

Photo 3. Looking forward under the eaves of the former Reading Station, visitors view exhibits by Amtrak, Operation Lifesaver, and a number of historical groups.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 09/28/13 12:13
Re: Amtrak Comes to Gettysburg, Pa.
Author: ClubCar

Very Nice photos Art; thanks for sharing them with all of us.

Date: 09/28/13 12:39
Author: PERichardson

Yesterday the train came down the G&N, ever so slowly, with the 42 on the point. When they couldn't wye the train at the G&N yard near the station, they ran the units around the train, with the 42 ending up front coupled to the train. Fun chase yesterday.

Date: 09/28/13 13:34
Author: shoretower

Great photos! Despite passenger service having ended before I was born, I've been to and through the station several times on steam excursions out of Baltimore and a trip from Gettysburg to Mt. Holly Springs on the (then) Gettysburg Railroad. "Ever so slowly" is right for the speed. It's a continuous series of tight curves, and max speed would be about 15 MPH whatever the condition of the track.

Civil War era depot is nice. I'll have to get to Steam into History sometime this fall.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds