Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > Is Conney Island subway safe?

Date: 07/09/06 12:52
Is Conney Island subway safe?
Author: floridajoe2001

Can anyone advise if the subway ride from Manhattan out to Conney Island is safe. I would like to take two young children with me, but before I would attempt such a thing, I would like to hear from locals. Naturally, this would be in daylight hours.

Thanks for any help.
Joe

Date: 07/09/06 14:47
Re: Is Conney Island subway safe?
Author: ChS7-321

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone advise if the subway ride from
> Manhattan out to Conney Island is safe. I would
> like to take two young children with me, but
> before I would attempt such a thing, I would like
> to hear from locals. Naturally, this would be in
> daylight hours.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Joe

It's pretty safe. Coney Island is a major transportation hub, and the mix of people there during daylight hours represents pretty well the cross-section of NYC.

Date: 07/09/06 16:15
Author: rfprr1

I'd second ChS7-321's opinion. I'd feel safe pretty much anywhere on the NYC subway system, especially during the day. New York, despite what many think, is actually a pretty safe city.

rfprr

Date: 07/09/06 16:55

NYC, like any large city in almost every country, has it's neighborhoods where it is undesirable for one to accidentially wind up. One of those, if nothing changed over past 10 years, is the neighborhood right to the West of the north-south subway viaduct that approaches Coney Island from the north.

FloridaJoe, take the subway a few stops to Brighton Beach Ave, and you'll feel like you're in Moscow/Kiev/Odessa....without splurging on a transatlantic air ticket.... :P

Date: 07/09/06 17:09
Author: Alco251

ChS7-321 Wrote:
>
> FloridaJoe, take the subway a few stops to
> Brighton Beach Ave, and you'll feel like you're in
> Moscow/Kiev/Odessa....without splurging on a
> transatlantic air ticket.... :P

You'll feel the same reading the editorial page of the New York Times.

BTW, floridajoe, if anyone gives you any trouble, look 'em square in the eye and holler "I am Sanford...."

Date: 07/09/06 18:04
Author: tomcatv1

What the heck are you talking about?

Date: 07/09/06 19:11

Alco251 Wrote:
> ChS7-321 Wrote:
> >
> > FloridaJoe, take the subway a few stops to
> > Brighton Beach Ave, and you'll feel like you're
> in
> > Moscow/Kiev/Odessa....without splurging on a
> > transatlantic air ticket.... :P
>
> You'll feel the same reading the editorial page of
> the New York Times.
>

?????

Date: 07/09/06 23:37
Author: shtinkypuppie

In the first line he's parroting Bill O'Rielly, in the second he appears to be referencing an old Trains Magazine "Railroad Reading" article.

Date: 07/10/06 02:59

shtinkypuppie Wrote:
> In the first line he's parroting Bill O'Rielly,

I fail to see the connection.

Moscow is located in Russia. Kiev and Odessa are in Ukraine. All three are ex-SU.....

Date: 07/10/06 07:36
Author: Gonut1

Odessa is in Delaware, I don't think the Coney Island line goes there?

Gonut

Date: 07/10/06 08:54
Author: Nick

From an episode of "Seinfeld":

(Kramer is describing all these various ways to get from Manhattan to Coney Island by subway.)
Elaine: Couldn't you just take the D train straight to Coney Island?
Kramer: Well, YEAH!!!!

Funny as hell...

Date: 07/10/06 13:05
Author: rresor

Actually, you CAN'T take the D train to Coney Island. It ends at Brighton Beach...or used to when I worked for NYCTA.

The other confusing references are all to Brighton Beach, where many former residents of the Crimea (which I believe is in Russia, not Ukraine) settled over the last 20 years. Lots of good Russian restaurants and clubs.

Coney Island has a brand new subway station, just opened, that replaces the former terminal. Both had/have eight platform tracks.

I'd suggest taking the D train to Brighton Beach, walking on the boardwalk a bit, then returning to the station and taking whatever train goes through to Coney Island, returning north on the B "West End" train. The two different lines (D and B) are both largely elevated in Brooklyn.

Do it. It's a fun trip. In my NYCTA days, I used to get lunch in the employee lunchroom at Coney Island, on a bridge above the platforms with a view of the ocean. I've never seen the new terminal but am told it's impressive.

Oh, and keep a sharp lookout as you pass through DeKalb Avenue on the D. It's all underground, but it's a junction of three two-track lines from the north to serve a four-track station and two bypass tracks, then it all splits into the Fourth Avenue Line (B,M.N.R) and Brighton Line (D, V).

BART claimed some years ago that their Lake Merritt junction of three lines was too hard to operate and they'd never do it again. NYCT has been operating DeKalb Ave. since 1912. BART is breaking my heart...

Date: 07/10/06 15:49

rresor Wrote:
> The other confusing references are all to Brighton
> Beach, where many former residents of the Crimea
> (which I believe is in Russia, not Ukraine)
> settled over the last 20 years. Lots of good
> Russian restaurants and clubs.
>

Crimea is in the Ukraine, however, Brighton Beach is considered the Russian cultural center in NYC, and, by extension, the U.S. (as the Big Apple has the largest community of immigrants from the former Soviet Union.....unofficially over 500,000 people).

Date: 07/10/06 17:50
Friendly New Yorkers ...
Author: prr4828

I took a day trip to NYC back in 8/2000. On two different occasions, folks on the platform helped me navigate the NYC subway system. All I had to do was unfold my map. :-)

* J *

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds