Home Open Account Help 155 users online

Passenger Trains > More on NJ Gov Corzine and the NEC

Date: 09/15/06 01:40
More on NJ Gov Corzine and the NEC
Author: ts1457

Date: 09/15/06 05:27
Re: More on NJ Gov Corzine and the NEC
Author: Ray_Murphy

Both this article and the Bloomberg article (see earlier thread) make prominent mention of George Warrington. Is he in fact the brains behind this initiative?

Ray

Date: 09/15/06 05:32
Author: ts1457

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both this article and the Bloomberg article (see
> earlier thread) make prominent mention of George
> Warrington. Is he in fact the brains behind this
> initiative?
>
> Ray

Don't know, but that is a good question.

Date: 09/15/06 10:59
Author: dhart

"Amtrak is under siege, and there is a need to step up and protect our interests," Warrington said. "The governor is interested in exploring models, and we've been thinking about those opportunities."

Yeah, I'd say he's behind it. What's this AMTRAK under siege business? "there is a need to step and protect our interests..." As far as I know AMTRAK would gladly accept any contribution NJ would like to make to the operation of the NEC.

What I really think Warrington is saying (and he should know having run AMTRAK) is that AMTRAK doesn't really work and if NJ wants to may sure its' section of the NEC runs reliably, then the NEC needs an operator other than AMTRAK. Looks like NJ may be jockeying for a leadership position. But then again this could just be a bunch of empty political rhetoric to explain why the train broke down the other day...

Date: 09/15/06 12:08
Author: ProAmtrak

I for one am wondering, if they're that behind, how come the NEC is showing sings of improvment mainly after Gunn released the track laying machine back on that line in the 1St place? Isn't Amtrak still slowly putting the NEC back in good shape?

Date: 09/15/06 12:21
Author: jp1822

Yes - key word - slowly. One of the issues mentioned in the Governor's comment about NJ taking over the NEC operations was the power failure of May 25th. The power system, catenary etc. - this still needs a major overhaul in my opinion on the old PRR line. It is being addressed somewhat on the New Haven portion of the line and of course north of New Haven, the catenary is new.

I am on the parts of the NEC almost daily in my commute and I hear - delays in Sunyside Yard due to train congestion, power problems, catenary down, etc. Occasionally you'll get the switch stuck. There's also more to be desired on the 2 track bottleneck between NYC and Newark.

Keep in mind this is also now playing into the NEC operations - mainly in the form of CAPACITY!

Date: 09/15/06 16:33
Author: railcity

The NEC needs 30 Billion Dollars to get it into A- Shape again from Boston to D.C.

Date: 09/15/06 17:19
Author: tmurray

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...... George Warrington. Is he in fact the brains behind this
> initiative?

Now that's a great oxymoron...

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds