Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Passenger Trains > Rental car in San Diego.

Date: 09/20/06 13:45
Rental car in San Diego.
Author: CPRR

Thinking of the train to SD, but will need a car. Has anyone had one delivered to the depot there?

Thanks

Date: 09/20/06 13:55
Re: Rental car in San Diego.
Author: mundo

In station is direct phones to rental cars.

With the station being downtown and the airport not that far away,
most of the Rental cars have their operation yards, within a mile or so of the station. So its quick to deliver a auto.

Date: 09/20/06 13:58
Author: BaltoJoey

I believe that it is Enterprise Car Rental will come pick you up.

BaltoJoey

PS: When I went to Miami, Alamo Car Rental both picked me up and returned me to the station.

Date: 09/20/06 14:15
Author: djansson

There are several "independant" car rental places a few blocks north of the station, on the Pacific Coast Highway.

Date: 09/20/06 14:46
Author: toledopatch

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that it is Enterprise Car Rental will
> come pick you up.

Yeah, but do they offer unlimited mileage?

Date: 09/20/06 14:57
Author: ggibg

I've had Hertz both pick me up and deliver me back to the Amtrak (ATSF) depot in San Diego. Their service is excellent, and I've found their prices to be competitive.

Date: 09/20/06 15:46
Author: Waybiller

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BaltoJoey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I believe that it is Enterprise Car Rental will
> > come pick you up.
>
> Yeah, but do they offer unlimited mileage?

They usually do, although sometimes you need to ask for it.

Date: 09/20/06 19:04
Rental car in San Diego.
Author: jp1822

I've used Hertz and Enterprise rentals in San Diego. I've either taken a quick taxi ride over to the rental car agencies, near the airport, or had them come and pick me up. Both I believe offered unlimited mileage. Frankly, I use Enterprise a lot when travelling via Amtrak and then looking to rent a car. They've picked me up Plattsburgh, NY, Harrisburg, PA, Burlington, VT etc.

Date: 09/20/06 21:14
Author: loco4501

Was there in February and rented from Enterprise, unlimited mileage. They did not offer a pick up but the trolley will take you to within a block of their (off-airport) airport location. It was easy to find, if you are coming in on the Surfliner from the North you will pass right by their lot.
RJ

Date: 09/20/06 21:28
Author: Railrev

If you are an Amtrak Guest Rewards member, Hertz offers a great discount and there is some kind of deal for multiple points. If pick up/drop off is a problem, there is a shuttle to the airport that board on Broadway, right across the street from the Amtrak station. Runs about every ten minutes. You could get off at the Commuter Terminal and avoid a lot of the crowd. Fare is $2.25. Cheaper than a cab.

Date: 09/20/06 21:52
Author: jdb

It sounds like you have a number of options. Check out the rates of the airport vs. off airport locations. The rates will probably be the same but the taxes at the airport can be much higher.

jb

Date: 09/21/06 16:04
Author: atsfm177

Try to avoid the airport locations. There is an airport surchage. If you must use the airport, (which is possible if you come in late) make sure they note you did not arrive in San Diego on an airplane, and they do not charge the airport tax.

Generally, when I go to San Diego on orders, I'm booked a car via Avis,

Downtown San Diego - KS3
1670 Kettner Blvd, Suite 1,
San Diego, CA 92101
619-231-7137
Sun 08:00AM-05:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-05:00PM

They will not deliver the car to you, but will pick you up at the station and drive you the couple of blocks back to their office. There is a direct line phone in the alcove just outside the mens room in the SD station. Alternatively, you can take the Trolley one station stop north of Downtown.

Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds