Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > Brussels PCC Tram in S.F. Muni Revenue Service

Date: 06/05/07 20:36
Brussels PCC Tram in S.F. Muni Revenue Service
Author: shed47

San Francisco Muni's F-Market/Embarcadero historic fleet just got a little more diverse with the entry into service of Brussels PCC tram 737 in the last few days. Built using PCC technology under license by La Brugeoise of Brugge, Belgium in 1952 and in the first group of this type for Brussels. Thousands of PCC trams were built in the postwar years for service on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Tatra of Czechoslovakia--not any one U.S. builder--was the largest builder in volume of PCC's worldwide.

As of now she is painted representing Zurich's public transport system reflecting San Francisco's sister city relationship. Long term plans should see the 737 returned to Brussels 1952-era creme. All photos taken in and around Ferry Plaza today 6/5.
http://www.streetcar.org/mim/streetcars/fleet/antique/737/index.html

Date: 06/05/07 20:45
Re: Brussels PCC Tram in S.F. Muni Revenue Service
Author: shed47

The first thing noticed about the 737 is its narrow width--only 7'2" which is 2' narrower than most of Muni's PCC's. Built with these dimensions to deal with the Belgian capital's narrow and congested streets. Result is 2 + 1 seating which along with three sets of doors really limits seating capacity. As a result she may be restricted to the Embarcadero-only shuttle avoiding Market except for the runs to/from the barn. The 737 was in that service today.

Date: 06/05/07 20:46
Author: railroad007

Wow Very Nice. I would like to ride it. :-D

Date: 06/05/07 22:01
Author: pacificparlour

Fantastic shots; I already can't wait to ride this unique car!

Date: 06/06/07 19:48
Author: SD608708

Does anyone have a picture of the PCC painted for Birmingham in service?

Date: 06/07/07 01:19
Author: DNRY122

Good to see it in revenue service. When I was in MuniLand last month, I spotted it on the exit track at Geneva Yard. I was hoping it was going into service so I could ride it on the "J" line. Then one of the Muni workers pointed out all the test gear inside the tram--not ready for prime time! Last time I saw a electric railway car with that much instrumentation aboard, it was the first Kawasaki light rail car for the SEPTA Red Arrow (Media and Sharon Hill) lines being tested in 1981.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds