Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > The tale of 2 lates #19/#20

Date: 07/14/07 17:10
The tale of 2 lates #19/#20
Author: Amtrak-P42

First, I should go ahead and mention that I enjoy a train running behind schedule on a route which I travel regularly. In a way, it allows me to see these towns and areas of the country at a very different time of day then you would had the train been on schedule. You get to see a whole different side of a city, say at 12am, then you would see at 12pm. It also gives me more bang for my buck!
Well, anyways, in another thread, I mentioned I decided on an adventure. On Wednesday night, I was curious as to the status of the following days #19 into Atlanta. Well sure enough, I hit the "Jackpot". Here are the details of the initial incident to #19(11):

"It was 37 min. late out of NYP but that was the LEAST of the problems. The train stopped with no catenary power east of Trenton. Damage to both pantograph and wires were suspected at first, but they were able to lower the pantograph and overhead power was restored; then power was shut off again until the engine could be inspected. The verdict was that the engine was unusable and needed to be replaced. Then, it took a long time to get a rescue unit to the train due to depleted electric locomotive reserves and heavy rush hour NJT/Amtrak traffic."

Upon arrival at Washington, all the food had spoiled while the power was out, so the entire train had to be restocked. The train finally departed Washington 6 hours and 28 minutes late. When I learned of the incident, I went ahead and booked a round trip roomette, going down on this #19(11) and returning on the same set the next day at #20(13). The train finally arrived Atlanta, GA almost 8 hours late, and departed 7 hours and 47 minutes late. The biggest single incident, besides the usual waiting for freights, was that 2 dead NS freights blocked the "right"(southbound) main just south of BHM. After waiting 40 minutes, we were finally allowed to proceed down the wrong main, running restricted speed at 20MPH...for 25 miles. Needless to say this, coupled with everything else, showed in our #19(11) 9 1/2 hour late arrival into New Orleans, LA at 4:49am (Scheduled: 723pm).
Now, I knew we would be really late departing on this set the next day as #20(13), both because of the amount of time it would take to service the train, but also because of crew rest. I made it to the hotel (Hilton Riverside (always stay here)) and was asleep at 540am. I woke up at the scheduled departure time of #20(13) that day and called Amtrak to see what they thought. The latest ETD was 11:30am, scheduled at 720am, so about 4 hours late. I went back to sleep for an hour or so, before finally getting up, showering, getting some lunch, and making it over to the station at about 1115am. They were already backing in the sunset for its on-time departure of 1155am, with no sight or mention of #20 over the scanner. It was not until 1:23pm, 6 hours and 3 minutes late, that we finally departed New Orleans.
The only notable delay on the way north was a long wait for southbound #19 (running only 40 minutes late!), and then just south of BHM. Just as we crossed over a railroad crossing, I heard the familiar rush of air from the brake system, signifying the Emergency Brake Application. Within seconds the Engineer came over the radio indicating he had struck a pedestrian, who was apparently walking down the middle of the right-of-way. Once the police arrived, and once the train was inspected for about 40 minutes, it was determined he had escaped from the scene after being hit. Lucky he even had that chance! Engineer reported 29MPH, throttle at notch 3, and blowing the horn feverishly. When all was said and done #20(13) finally arrived ATL at about 3:55am, 8 hours late, scheduled at 7:53pm.

This trip was fun, but wow am I tired. It was interesting to talk to the crew and speak with the passengers to see how they were taking the delay. The crew did a good job managing the passengers and things appeared to be calm. Everyone knew it wasnt Amtrak's fault (for once!). These 2 trains are my 2nd and 3rd latest trains I have ever been on. The latest was a 10 hour late Starlate during the hell summer of 2005. Friday the 13th baby!

Image 1 is southbound #19, about 8 hours late in Birmingham, AL.
Image 2 is Birmingham, AL at dusk.

Date: 07/14/07 17:13
Re: The tale of 2 lates #19/#20

Image 3 is northbound #20(13) having just departed New Orleans, LA.
Image 4 is stopped along the shores of lake ponchetrain waiting for a warrant.
Image 5 is of the speeding #19 headed south while we wait for him to clear.

Date: 07/14/07 17:16

Image 6 is at Meridian, MS 7 hours and 15 minutes late on #20.
Image 7 is my 8 hour late #20 finally in Atlanta. Taken a bit past 4am.

Date: 07/14/07 22:21
Author: jp1822

Why such a long turn around time? Was it really due to crew rest (couldn't another crew be called in) or where there mechanical problems to deal with as well? If none of the above were factors - then this is a poor turnaround of the equipment (6+ hours).

Date: 07/15/07 09:04

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why such a long turn around time? Was it really
> due to crew rest (couldn't another crew be called
> in) or where there mechanical problems to deal
> with as well? If none of the above were factors -
> then this is a poor turnaround of the equipment
> (6+ hours).

According to mechanical, they didnt get the trainset until 730am...even though the train got in about 5am. So the bigger factor was the turnaround time of the trainset.

Date: 07/15/07 10:29

So we have an inefficient turnaround process - as suspected.

Date: 07/15/07 13:13
Author: ProAmtrak

jp1822 Wrote:
> So we have an inefficient turnaround process - as
> suspected.

I don't think it's an ineficciant turnaround if the 19 got in so late! Sucks NS didn't handle 20's run up towards DC so well because of the so called "out of it's slot!"

Date: 07/15/07 13:34

ProAmtrak - Go ride VIA Rail Canada's Chaleur. Without mechanical issues - this train turns in 45 minutes, including wyeing the train two miles east of the station. It also includes vacuuming of the diner, coach cars, and Skyline Dome. Consist is similar to what the Crescent currently is - and patronage high. If there is no mechanical issues to deal with, Amtrak should have staff on hand to work diligently to get the train out on time if it arrives late. Otherwise you have a domino effect with the train trying to get back on-time.

I have no pity for Amtrak if they can't get out of the initial terminal on time and then the freight railroad has to deal with the passenger train being out of its normal slot. I would like to think they do their best.

Date: 07/15/07 14:35

jp1822 Wrote:
> ProAmtrak - Go ride VIA Rail Canada's Chaleur.
> Without mechanical issues - this train turns in 45
> minutes, including wyeing the train two miles east
> of the station. It also includes vacuuming of the
> diner, coach cars, and Skyline Dome. Consist is
> similar to what the Crescent currently is - and
> patronage high. If there is no mechanical issues
> to deal with, Amtrak should have staff on hand to
> work diligently to get the train out on time if it
> arrives late. Otherwise you have a domino effect
> with the train trying to get back on-time.
>
> I have no pity for Amtrak if they can't get out of
> the initial terminal on time and then the freight
> railroad has to deal with the passenger train
> being out of its normal slot. I would like to
> think they do their best.

Yeah but who cares about slot? BNSF seems to run the Chief and Builder well even if they're out of their so called "Slot"

Date: 07/15/07 14:36

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> jp1822 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So we have an inefficient turnaround process -
> as
> > suspected.
>
>
> I don't think it's an ineficciant turnaround if
> the 19 got in so late! Sucks NS didn't handle 20's
> run up towards DC so well because of the so called
> "out of it's slot!"

Only had to wait for 1 NS freight the entire distance from New Orleans, LA to Atlanta, GA. Train continued northbound from ATL with minimal delay. The only surmountable delays for #20 after departure were 1. waiting for warrants south of Meridian, MS 2. The long wait for #19 3. The pedestrian incident. These added up to about 8 hours...train never got ANY later north to Washington, DC. Sounds to me that NS DID handle the train incredibly well.

Date: 07/18/07 20:30

Yeah but it sucks when the snowball effect hits!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1239 seconds