Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Passenger Trains > Heads UP Coast Fans, #11(28th)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/29/07 11:26
Heads UP Coast Fans, #11(28th)
Author: TopCat

Due to an traction motor failure on Engine 117 coming into San Jose, the 117 is to be
set out at San Jose and the UP 8683 (SD40T-2) will be added to the point of the train
and continue on to San Luis Obispo. Our own "velvet glove" brought the train into San Jose
around 9:55 AM and the train is still here at 11:30 AM.

Expect train to leave probably around 12:00 noon (if all goes well).

According to UP crew on the "Q-train" the 8683 has no radio, so Amtrak mechanical will have
to find one. I'm sure it will be returned someday ;-)

Better yet, engine is just patched, not totally yellow. Speed Lettered

TopCat

Date: 11/29/07 12:11
Re: Heads UP Coast Fans, #11(28th)
Author: alex14ramos

Someone please get some photos of this! Snoot nose with no patch on it. Don't get much better than this these days.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=943111

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 11/29/07 12:21
Author: brianbergtold

Permission to leave San Jose on signal indication at 12:22pm.

Date: 11/29/07 12:51

I think Axy might be able to help us with a picture or two ;-)

We shall see.

TopCat

Date: 11/29/07 12:53
Author: NightCoast

Thanks to Top Cat, I was given the heads up via telephone. ‘hopped in the car and headed down the street to Coyote.

Axy - Just a little Scarlet and Grey adds a little class

Date: 11/29/07 14:04
Author: shed47

Seen departing San Jose Diridon at 12:25. The 8683 was the second unit on the QRVPX which(by pure luck) was changing crews at Newhall. Was run light to the depot via track five as shown in the third photo with #11 on the right on main one.

Caltrain can't spare an F40(not that anyone's complaining)?

Date: 11/29/07 14:31
Author: zuco74

Has CalTrain ever "lent" Amtrak a loco when things like this happen to 11 or 14?

Tony

Date: 11/29/07 14:33
Author: sfericsf

That third picture has it all: Caltrains, Capitols, ACE, The Starlight, and a "Friendly".

The signal head in the lower left corner is creepin' me out. Looks like a face with the two eyes and it's mouth open yellin' at someone. LOL

Date: 11/29/07 15:14
Author: djansson

Pretty confusing that neither CalTrain or the CCJPB had an engine to offer (were they even asked AT ALL?). How long did it take to get a NON-RADIO EQUIPPED UP freight motor to San Jose? Ignore the paint scheme, folks - this set #11 back by two hours!

Is this any way to run a railroad???????

Date: 11/29/07 15:36
Author: brianbergtold

Huh? They've been delayed far longer for more trivial issues. They're lucky that unit was already in San Jose. Amtrak sending something down from Oakland (if they even had a spare) wouldn't have been any faster. Considering the reports I've read on here about Caltrain units going belly up, I doubt they had one to spare for a multi-day LA field trip either. Two hours to troubleshoot what was wrong, setout the dead unit, grab a freight engine, transfer a radio, do air tests, etc. doesn't seem that unreasonable to me under the circumstances.

djansson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty confusing that neither CalTrain or the
> CCJPB had an engine to offer (were they even asked
> AT ALL?). How long did it take to get a NON-RADIO
> EQUIPPED UP freight motor to San Jose? Ignore the
> paint scheme, folks - this set #11 back by two
> hours!
>
> Is this any way to run a railroad???????

Date: 11/29/07 15:54
Author: NightCoast

djansson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty confusing that neither CalTrain or the
> CCJPB had an engine to offer (were they even asked
> AT ALL?). How long did it take to get a NON-RADIO
> EQUIPPED UP freight motor to San Jose? Ignore the
> paint scheme, folks - this set #11 back by two
> hours!
>
> Is this any way to run a railroad???????

Listen here Pal. Unless you're an insider and understand the politicking that goes along with these types of dealings, let us have our fun. It really isn't all that often you're going to find a Tunnel Motor let alone a scarlet and gray unit on the point of a revenue Amtrak train. There isn't any available extra power from Caltrain, Amtrak, etc. Amtrak was lucky enough that the UP was going to give them a loaner off the Phoenix train that coincidentally happen to be in San Jose (in the midst of a set-out and crew change). Yes, this is no way to run a railroad, but for the time being they had to do what was required to get the thing over the road. All things considered; I have been in the same situation as a conductor on the SW Chief dealing the the same type of circumstances, two hours isn't all that bad.

Axy - I can see beyond my nose.

Date: 11/29/07 16:37
Author: kodachrome9319

Ugh, I want to say some words here, but if I did, I'd be banned from the board. ;-)

Please tell me, my father, did you see/get shots of this?

Thanks TopCat, and good shots Axy!

Steven Welch

Date: 11/29/07 16:41
Author: webmaster

I think this is an impressive solution. Two hours is hardly a delay. Something else to consider is I don't think it matters much on the coast what pulls it as the speeds are not all that high. I think the local Union Pacific management and the Amtrak crew should be commended for the fast action.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 11/29/07 17:06
Author: smitty195

Thanks for the heads up TopCat, and for the awesome shots Shed. Cool stuff!

Date: 11/29/07 19:54
Author: WOPRJim

That shot at Newhall, with all the different paint schemes, is awesome. Somebody ought to put that on a calender!
Jim

Date: 11/29/07 22:10
Re: Loaner engines

At the time this happened, most of the Caltrain(s) were running up and down the Peninsula.
We had #102 (first train out of S.F.) take a crap up north and we had to swap a bunch of trains,
to run the morning fleet. Last but not least, Caltrain has 8 engines out of service for repairs and scheduled maintenance.

So, the answer to the question, "Did Caltrain have any units to lend?" the answer is no!
There have been situations in the past when we have loaned an engine, but with Caltrains
train schedule, we don't usually have any extras anymore.

Maybe Santa Claus will bring us some new equipment, yeah right.

TopCat

Just enjoy seeing an almost pure "SP" engine leading the Starlight. If we had to call Oakland
for an engine, the delay would have been much longer. Much appreciation also goes to Uncle Pete
to lend a hand ;-)

Date: 11/30/07 13:55
Author: millerdc

Only two hours lost on the Starlight is considered on time performance, especially compared to the Sunset.

Date: 11/30/07 17:21
Author: Soot4Life

Heck, I think it's cool! I'd love to have a tunnel motor haul my butt around for a while. Only thing better would have been a D&RGW motor......complete with a traditional heavy coat of soot!

Date: 11/30/07 17:50
Author: RuleG

Axy_Dent Wrote:
It
> really isn't all that often you're going to find a
> Tunnel Motor let alone a scarlet and gray unit on
> the point of a revenue Amtrak train.

I was living in California in the 1970s, and it seemed this would happen once in a while. I was on a late San Francisco Zephyr which had a Tunnel Motor as a pilot engine in 1977.

I wish I was there to see this. Nevertheless, your photo bought back pleasant memories. Thanks for posting.

Dave - Pittsburgh, PA

Date: 11/30/07 18:59
Author: JMBissen

Is that a Coaster trainset in the background? What's that doing there?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds