Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Passenger Trains > Starlight Detour over Tehachapi on June 22

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/06/08 11:34
Starlight Detour over Tehachapi on June 22
Author: stanhunter

Amtrak has announced that trains 11 and 14 will detour via Tehachapi on June 22. No intermediate passenger stops will be made. Routing north of Bakersfield will be via the regular San Joaquin route. At this point there are plenty of coach seats available. The usual caveats apply - may be changed or postponed etc.

Date: 06/06/08 12:25
Re: Starlight Detour over Tehachapi on June 22
Author: checkmate007

Can you please send us a link to where on the Amtrak web page that indicates this detour.

Date: 06/06/08 12:49
Author: rms492

There is no mention on the Amtrak web site. A lot of info. here is leaked by very well known and respected individuals who know a lot of information. The only suggestion I have is:

Go to www.amtrak.com, and type in a reservation for Los Angeles (LAX) to Sacramento (SAC) on June 22. You will note that the first option to come up will be No. 14--note the arrival time of 9:00pm into Sacramento. Normally, the Coast Starlight arrives at 11:59pm.
Secondly, go to www.trainsunlimitedtours.com, and note what they say.

As always, this is subject to change.

Hope this helps.

rMS out rest of day.

Date: 06/06/08 12:51
Author: Jaanfo

The detour is currently SCHEDULED to operate June 22nd, however as with the earlier schedule it's still subject to change

That day all Surfliners except 768 and 785 will terminate/originate in Santa Barbara.

Date: 06/06/08 13:12
Who to believe...
Author: Cumbresfan

SteveDavis says: At this point [June 6, 2008 12:34] there are plenty of coach seats available. The usual caveats apply - may be changed or postponed etc.

TUT says: OUR THREE PRIVATE RAIL CARS ARE THE ONLY SPACE AVAILABLE ON THIS TRAIN AT THIS TIME [Friday, 06-Jun-2008 10:57:46 CDT]. THE AMTRAK SPACE SOLD OUT WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER THE NEWS LEAKED OUT OF THIS DETOUR.

Lots of misinformation going around out there. I have a prepaid seat on the original trip (postponed from April and now scheduled for September [maybe!], according to TUT). I have other commitments this month so will wait to September to re-evaluate options.

Date: 06/06/08 13:23
Re: Who to believe...
Author: brassmag

The proof is in the pudding - go try to make a reservation on Amtrak.com - does it say sold out?

Date: 06/06/08 13:30
Author: webmaster

This will be a very expensive PV trip. From what I heard from Doug Spinn, owner of the Pacific Sands is that Amtrak will require private cars to run the entire length from Los Angeles to Seattle. They will not take the cars taken off at Sacramento, Klamath Falls, or Portland.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/06/08 13:32
Re: Steve Davis was a 2005 source.
Author: daniel3197

Steve Davis is an Amtrak source who also CONFIRMED
the so far ONLY modern day Amtrak Tehachapi DETOUR of 10-23-05 with former Amtrak Prez David Gunn.
Here is that truly AMAZING thread started by Richard Silagi announcing that 2005 Tehachapi Detour:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1021227

I wonder if this trains will have the SAME HIGH PRIORITY that our trip with David Gunn did in 2005??
Here was our basic running time from 2005 pretty FAST TOO !!
http://www.trainweb.com/travelogues/2006/danmonroe1.html

That 2005 run was certainly a FAST ULTRA EXPRESS down the valley from Stockton to Bakersfield.
Thank you to everyone for keeping us informed about these 2008 Tehachapi Detours!!
-- Daniel

Date: 06/06/08 13:40
Author: sfericsf

Yesterday, Amtrak's website was selling space on #14(22) from LA to Salinas (and all other regular coastal and Bay Area stops for the Starlight between LA and Sacramento).

Today, all coastal and bay area stops on the both #14(22) and #11(21) between LA and Sacramento are removed from Amtrak's website. Surfliner, Capitol Corridor, and connecting motorcoach options are available instead.

Additionally, the coach seat price on #14(22) from LA to SAC jumped up from $62 to $95. The schedule also now reflects a 9:00pm arrival for #14(22) into Sacramento, but maintains it's regular 11:59pm departure from Sacramento headed northward.

Date: 06/06/08 13:54
Author: pacificparlour

We've posted info about the detour (and the Starlight relaunch) on the NARP Hotline. By merry happenstance, I was already ticketed on train 14(22). At least two NARP board members will also be on board, and we'll of course be available to discuss advocacy issues.

--John Thomas
NARP Communications Associate

Date: 06/06/08 16:43
Author: NI030

daniel3197 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve Davis is an Amtrak source who also CONFIRMED

My Amtrak source where I got the info on the original Tehachapi detour a couple of years ago (when no one believed me) has confirmed these detours as well as of yesterday. Unless something changes with the UP and they cancel their work window, Amtrak is planning on running 11 and 14 over Tehachapi on the 22nd.

Date: 06/06/08 22:59
Author: jdb

I saw the info posted above. The memo also mentioned that Rail Fans, Rail Buffs, Foamers, FRN's, and others would need to purchase a ticket at least SAC/LAX or LAX/SAC. No guarantee that it would run. Gave the route as LAX/Lancaster/Mojave/Bakersfield/AMTRAK route up the valley. There will be private cars and AMTRAK has no info about that, contact TUT.

jb

Date: 06/07/08 21:02
Author: 72368

Some times not all the truth is told. There will be at least 5 private cars on No. 14 over Tehachapai. Like Eastwood said, trust me!!

Norm

Date: 06/07/08 21:52
Not sold out
Author: pecosvalleychief

As of 21:45 Amtrak.com shows all accommodations available on #14/22. As for the sold-out rumors, you all may remember that the first T-Daylight also showed sold-out for almost 24 hours after the initial announcement. It took a panicked call to Amtrak to find out there was actually plenty of room. Those of you who rode will remember that #11 was curiously empty that day. I'll wave from ROW this time since the last time I was torn between riding and watching the historic event. Happy trails y'all!

Date: 06/08/08 00:08
Re: Not sold out
Author: Scoopcat

As of 11:55 PM space available, at midnite system shut down for maintenece till 6am EST. My plan take Monday off to go with Sunday and Tuesday. My plan visit Cal RR Museum Monday then Starlite home Tuesday if I can get the Reservation. What is the cancellation policy? I will not know utill I go to work this Monday if I can get the day off.

Date: 06/08/08 14:24
Not sold out yet
Author: jbwest

Noticed that there is space on both trains in all classes of accomodation.

Date: 06/08/08 16:19
Re: Not sold out yet
Author: Scoopcat

After church I bought a round trip ticket, San Juan Capistrano to Sacramento for $150. It costs $25 just to drive to San Diego and back. The SJC to Lax and LAX to SJC legs are free. Now for a hotel in Sacramento.

Date: 06/08/08 17:31
Re: Not sold out yet
Author: pacificparlour

Scoopcat Wrote:
> Now for a hotel in Sacramento.

The Vagabond Inn Old Town across the street from the station is a good choice (free wi-fi, continental breakfast, decent rates).

Date: 06/08/08 21:55
Where is the bridge work to be done?
Author: ronross

I read that a bridge is getting worked on someplace on the coast line. Does anyone know what bridge and what is being done?

Date: 06/08/08 22:16
Re: Where is the bridge work to be done?
Author: NI030

ronross Wrote:
> I read that a bridge is getting worked on
> someplace on the coast line. Does anyone know
> what bridge and what is being done?

The bridge work is at MP 367.29 on the Santa Barbara Sub, just north of the Santa Barbara depot.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds