Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Passenger Trains > Question about Amtrak baggage policy and Golf Clubs

Date: 07/09/08 12:23
Question about Amtrak baggage policy and Golf Clubs
Author: NGotwalt

Hello all,
I have never traveled with my golf clubs on Amtrak before (having just picked up the sport in May) and the baggage policy is fuzzy on the subject. It says they would generally be carried as check baggage. However the use of the word generally to me means there are exceptions. The reason I ask is that I am planning on visiting a friend in a few weeks in Indiana and was thinking of taking the Cardinal on the return journey as I enjoy the route and riding in viewliners. The problem is there is no checked baggage. Since I would be alone in a roomette there would be room for my golf bag. Would this be a possible exception? If not I'll just take the Capitol Limited and deal with it.
Cheers,
Nick

I've added the text from the Amtrak website.

Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

Date: 07/09/08 14:17
Re: Question about Amtrak baggage policy and Golf Clubs
Author: wabash2800

I don't have the answer but judging by my experience and what I've read here: policy may be translated by whomever is on duty and including if him or her has a burr up their....

Date: 07/09/08 14:37
Author: Amtrakswitchman30

Nick,

This situation occurs often, especially now in the summer months. I see lot's of Golf bags in and out of the baggage car on the Coast Starlight. I don't know much about the Viewliner equipment, however, I'm sure your train attendant can make space for your golf clubs. I find the passengers and crews alike to be very accommodating in these busy months of summer.

Hope that helps...

Frank

Date: 07/09/08 15:16
Author: poultrycar

This brings up the question of handicap mobility equipment. I am sure they could figure out how to handle a folding wheel chair or push cart, but what if someone shows up with one of those heavy electric carts?

Though I am not ready for an electric cart just yet, there will be a day.

Date: 07/09/08 15:53
Author: RevRandy

If you are planning to use a Viewliner Roomette alone, your clubs could enjoy a great day viewing the country and a wonderful sleep in the upper berth. No problem. (Of course, I suspect that courtesy and a well-placed tip in on boarding might mean they would rest somewhere else on the car.)

Date: 07/09/08 19:49
Author: abocanyon

Tree years ago I took the Cardibnal from Cincinatti to DC. The sleeping car attendant looked at my suitcase and said, "There's no room for that on the car." Oh ye of little imagination! I told him I'd find room, and he lifted it aboard.

Date: 07/09/08 21:37
Author: Railrev

You wouldn't be the first guy to sleep with his golf clubs....Of course, if you get a real good score, you might want to let the clubs take the lower and you take the upper.

Date: 07/12/08 23:22
Author: retengr

You should not take the advice of any of us on here but rather go to the nearest Amtrak station
with an agent and ask the agent, no station nearby then call Amtrak and ask for an agent and get
the information from the source first hand.
Noel Weaver

Date: 07/13/08 23:18
Author: chakk

NGotwalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf
> clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled
> as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as
> carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they
> can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of
> Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is
> specifically designed to safely and securely
> accommodate the storage of the items.

My skis have been carried in the exterior lockers of
Superliner coaches on the CZ several times. A nice
tip to the coach attendant helps get this service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds