Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Alstom-Mare Island Open for Business

Date: 11/05/09 15:04
Alstom-Mare Island Open for Business
Author: shed47

The new Alstom railcar repair shop on Mare Island in Vallejo, CA has taken delivery from Amtrak California of the first three coaches of a 66 car refurbishment contract. The San Francisco Bay Railroad-Mare Island(using a borrowed Cal Northern GP15) made the delivery yesterday for the first revenue train move across the Mare Island lift bridge in several years.

Alstom has taken up the lease on the island's Building 599. It has 112,000 sq. ft. of space and three tracks inside--no drop pits or overhead cranes. All photos taken 11-5-09. A media account from the Vallejo Times Herald:

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_13718975
MARE ISLAND RAIL SERVICE RETURNS
By Jessica A. York
Posted: 11/05/2009 01:30:35 AM PST

Drivers crossing the Wichels Causeway on and off Mare Island on Wednesday were privy to a recent rarity on the island: A train chugging across, whistle blowing.

Wednesday marked the first installment of Mare Island newcomer business Alstom's plans to refurbish 66 Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains. The initial three passenger cars to grace newly aligned track leading into Alstom's Building 599 warehouse were towed by Alstom venture partner, San Francisco Bay Railroad.

Earlier this year, Alstom, a France-based international transportation and energy company, secured a six-year lease for one of Mare Island's largest empty warehouses. It plans to bid to refurbish rail cars for this region and beyond.

In its initial Amtrak contract, expected to take up to two years to complete, Alstom officials say they plan to upgrade the passenger cars' automated door-opening system and rebuild wheelchair lifts.

While the city, Alstom and San Francisco Bay Railroad worked out a short term agreement for the first batch of rail car deliveries, a long-term agreement will be needed for the total 66-car repair contract, Assistant City Attorney Claudia Quintana said. Issues such as economic feasibility, liability agreements and track maintenance will have to be negotiated, Quintana said.

Vallejo owns city rail line between the a rail junction known as the Flosden stop and the city side of the causeway. Mare Island developer Lennar Mare Island owns the recently dormant rail across the water.

San Francisco Bay Railroad President and CEO David Gavrich, who arrived on Mare Island aboard the rail car delivery, said he hopes the new partnership will stimulate Mare Island economic growth.

"Rail is important to a lot of other businesses," said Gavrich, whose company runs biodiesel engines. "I have seen opportunities that are not right for San Francisco that I've thought could be perfect for Mare Island."

For general information on Alstom, visit www.alstom.com or call (212) 557-7259. The Alstom warehouse office is at 450 Pintado St. on Mare Island.

Contact staff writer Jessica A. York at jyork@timesheraldonline.com or (707) 553-6834.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/09 15:24 by shed47.

Date: 11/05/09 15:09
Re: Alstom-Mare Island Open for Business
Author: msdgbar

Something tells me that i know where our High Speed Railcars are going to be built.

Date: 11/05/09 15:11

Alstom's new home on Mare Island--Building 599--was built by the Navy in 1942 and is one of the largest structures on the island.

Date: 11/05/09 15:18
Author: sagehen

I can't believe that Shed didn't get a picture of the train over the bridge. He's ALWAYS in the right place at the right time!

Stan

Date: 11/05/09 16:05
Author: NI030

sagehen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe that Shed didn't get a picture of
> the train over the bridge. He's ALWAYS in the
> right place at the right time!

The other day I was out running errands the other day and decided to eat lunch in Emeryville. When I parked in the lot next to the tracks, I saw Bob sitting in his truck. I walked over and said "Is this my lucky day? Is something good coming?". Unfortunately for me he was doing like me and just eating lunch :-(

Date: 11/05/09 17:17
Author: zephyrus

Cool to hear about dormant track being revived.

Thanks for the shots and update.

Z

Date: 11/05/09 20:10
Author: nickrgeorge

Cool!!

Date: 11/05/09 20:12
Author: RV009

Nice pics Shed. Just like the Oakland coachyard, no work being done. ;)

Date: 11/05/09 21:24

msdgbar Wrote:
> Something tells me that i know where our High
> Speed Railcars are going to be built.

Don't know if that will ever happen but this building does have a railcar manufacturing history: final assembly of Santa Clara VTA's Kinki Sharyo light rail vehicles took place here.

DMU's for SMART and/or BART(Antioch extension) could be a future possibility......

Date: 11/05/09 21:55
Author: up833

It looks like there is an overhead crane in the building. Last photo, at the end of the building, away from the photographer.
RB

Date: 11/05/09 22:48
Author: ThumbsUp

Get those doors to work properly, Alstom!

Date: 11/05/09 22:48
Author: Cal-P

Of all the California intercity rails I have ridden, I think
our CDTX capitol & San Joaquin trains are the best designed AND best maintained.
Exception being the design of the F59PHI.
Not very reliable under the hood by poor design.
I recall the turbo-chargers give trouble.

Worst: Metrolink,,the SCAX fleet.
I saw some locos down there that had some serious rusting going on.

Date: 11/06/09 08:24
Author: fjc

All the repairs will look pretty, still rattle and ride like crap ;)

RV009 Wrote:
> Nice pics Shed. Just like the Oakland coachyard,
> no work being done. ;)

Date: 11/06/09 09:25

Anyone know what engine SF Bay plans to use on Mare Island? I know they have that repowered Baldwin #95. Doesn't that have roller bearing trucks?

Thanks.

Z

Date: 11/06/09 17:33

Bob mentioned it was a borrowed Cal Northern GP15

zephyrus Wrote:
> Anyone know what engine SF Bay plans to use on
> Mare Island? I know they have that repowered
> Baldwin #95. Doesn't that have roller bearing
> trucks?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Z

Date: 11/06/09 17:35

Sorry, wasn't clear. I heard they are planning to replace the CalN GP15 with their own engine. Was wondering if it was something new or one they have now.

I know they are exploring putting the 95 back into operation and I think it is the only engine they have on rollers.

Z

fjc Wrote:
> Bob mentioned it was a borrowed Cal Northern GP15
>
> zephyrus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone know what engine SF Bay plans to use on
> > Mare Island? I know they have that repowered
> > Baldwin #95. Doesn't that have roller bearing
> > trucks?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Z

Date: 11/06/09 20:58

Oh I gotcha now, okay.

zephyrus Wrote:
> Sorry, wasn't clear. I heard they are planning to
> replace the CalN GP15 with their own engine. Was
> wondering if it was something new or one they have
> now.
>
> I know they are exploring putting the 95 back into
> operation and I think it is the only engine they
> have on rollers.
>
> Z
>
>
>
> fjc Wrote:
> -----
> > Bob mentioned it was a borrowed Cal Northern
> GP15
> >
> > zephyrus Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Anyone know what engine SF Bay plans to use
> on
> > > Mare Island? I know they have that repowered
> > > Baldwin #95. Doesn't that have roller
> bearing
> > > trucks?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Z

Date: 11/07/09 10:03
Author: atsf121

What did the Navy use this building for? Didn't realize there was such a big building out on Mare Island with that many tracks inside. Good news for Mare Island and hopefully the business will continue to grow.

Nathan

Date: 11/07/09 15:40
Author: SCAX3401

atsf121 Wrote:
> What did the Navy use this building for? Didn't
> realize there was such a big building out on Mare
> Island with that many tracks inside. Good news
> for Mare Island and hopefully the business will
> continue to grow.
>
> Nathan

The following for a Solano County Business News, May 2009 issue:

Building 599 was built in 1942, initially as a military metal storehouse and gun shop. It later stored ships being overhauled and, more recently, was used by Kinkisharyo International to manufacture Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority light rail cars.

I also found internet references that the movie "Sphere" and parts of several others were filmed in the building as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1011 seconds