Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak train fatality at Pinole CA

Date: 05/12/10 11:04
Amtrak train fatality at Pinole CA
Author: CarolVoss

Leading the Channel 7 SF ABC news at 11 am, looks like a Capitol corridor train hit someone near Pinole shores. Aerial shots of stopped train and reporter says this was the scene of another fatality in February and there were "two trains on the track".
C.

Carol Voss
Salinas, CA

Date: 05/12/10 12:24
Re: Amtrak train fatality at Pinole CA
Author: stash

It appears there were many victims involved in this trespasser strike. Most were passengers.

No. 6 just got authority to move at 12:15, 10 mph between 18.9 and 19.1. Likewise for 714 and 530; trains stacked up on the Cal-P. Those are just some of the trains delayed. A mess out there today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/10 12:24 by stash.

Date: 05/12/10 14:35
Author: a737flyer

Date: 05/12/10 14:55
Author: raillady

Can't open this

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_15069850?
> nclick_check=1

Date: 05/12/10 15:36
Author: TomPlatten

This is a typical California whine! Why couldn't the train warn us? Why can't the idiot stay off the tracks! Of course they hold the train until the coroner shows up! What is there to investigate?

Date: 05/12/10 15:48
Author: a737flyer

raillady Wrote:
> Can't open this
>
> a737flyer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_15069850?
>
> > nclick_check=1

I just opened it...!

Date: 05/12/10 17:00
Author: proudfoamer

It was a guy walking his dog. A northbound capitol hit him n knock them both into the path of a southbound capitol. I know the crew on both trains. Lets them n the deceased our prayers.

Date: 05/12/10 19:12

I feel sorry for the passengers, crew and the poor dog. Too bad the dog had an irresponsible guardian.

Date: 05/12/10 21:18
Author: MojaveBill

What is there to investigate is the death of a human being, no matter what the circumstances...

Date: 05/12/10 23:08
Author: Abqfoamer

Uh...there's a sign posted there?
Can anybody read it these days?
One of the rail TRESPASSERS in the story complained there's no crossing "light" for the local Bay fisherfolk.
I sure hope bankrupt California gets right on that problem.

Poor dog.
Now, the victim's relatives, two crews and passengers have to live with this tragedy.

This afternoon, a young snuggly couple sat on the yellow safety stripe of the Albuquerque Rail Runner downtown platform, their feet on the ballast next to the nearest rail.
Part of me wanted to lecture them on this rail-protocol "mortal sin".
Other than making sure they would not be mangled at the last moment, I didn't bother.

They finally moved back as the train approached.
At least they paid attention in time.

Date: 05/13/10 07:14
Author: raillady

At the Sacramento Station this a.m., I saw Trainmaster "Tommy" at the security desk looking tired and quite grumpy. He could only growl that he felt sorry for the dog!

Since I take the train to Bezerkley [Berkeley] quite often, I do notice all along the rails at the Bay various people fishing. I can see them from the train as we go by. There are also a lot of curves around that bay. I remember when I first started taking the train some years ago; I felt the train slow down and lay on the horn. When we went by, I saw a man stark naked walking along the edge of the rails. He had been on the tracks. Go figure.

If the Pinole guy was someone's fishing buddy, he must have forgotten that there is a lot of passenger and freight activity on both those lines most of the time. Stop, look and listen and stay off the rails.

Raillady
West Sacramento

Date: 05/13/10 17:51
Author: joemagruder

I was a passenger on 526. The delay we experienced (3+ hours) is of no consequence in comparison with the trauma for the engineer and train crew. How do we help people to understand that railroad tracks are not recreational trails?

Date: 05/13/10 18:58
Author: calhog

stash Wrote:
> I feel sorry for the passengers, crew and the poor
> dog. Too bad the dog had an irresponsible
> guardian.

Amen to that!!!

Date: 05/14/10 11:48
Author: peh934

From http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/14/BAER1DEQ0J.DTL

"A man may have been trying to pull his dog from harm's way when he was struck and killed by two Amtrak trains in Pinole, one headed west and the other heading east, authorities said today.

Both Christopher Gray, 60, of San Pablo and his dog were killed when they were hit at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday near Pinole Shores Park.

Gray was walking his dog near when it may have run onto or gotten too close to a parallel set of tracks, authorities said.

He and the dog were hit by a westbound train, and the impact sent Gray into the path of the eastbound train, which ran him over, according to the Contra Costa County coroner's office."

Date: 05/14/10 14:17

It is a shame about the dog, which a responsible person would have kept safe on a leash. Why trespass on railroad property when there are many safe places to walk a dog nearby? We'll never know why Gray made the choice that he did.

peh934 Wrote:
> From
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2
> 010/05/14/BAER1DEQ0J.DTL
>
> "A man may have been trying to pull his dog from
> harm's way when he was struck and killed by two
> Amtrak trains in Pinole, one headed west and the
> other heading east, authorities said today.
>
> Both Christopher Gray, 60, of San Pablo and his
> dog were killed when they were hit at about 9:30
> a.m. Wednesday near Pinole Shores Park.
>
> Gray was walking his dog near when it may have run
> onto or gotten too close to a parallel set of
> tracks, authorities said.
>
> He and the dog were hit by a westbound train, and
> the impact sent Gray into the path of the
> eastbound train, which ran him over, according to
> the Contra Costa County coroner's office."

Date: 05/17/10 15:57
Author: ProAmtrak

Stupidity sure does shows its ugly head on all kinds of people! I mean that sucks for both trains and everyone else who were on the route!

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1344 seconds